SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Need help ID'ing silver spoon found recently

At the site where I found the lined I button and 3 cent nickel I also dug a silver spoon with a script "C" on the handle which apparently represents the owner last name. But I cannot find any reference to anyone with the last name beginning in C that lived at this site, which dates to around 1800. On the back of the spoon the silversmith's name is given - J.G. Davison. There are also some hallmarks but they're difficult to decipher due to the condition of the spoon. I tried looking up the silversmith's name but the closest thing I could find was a J.G. Davis (1770-1813). I doubt the spoon is that old, but would appreciate help from someone experienced who could help date this piece. Please click on the 2nd pic to zoom in on the details. Thanks!

Attachments

• 112812f.JPG
    112812f.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 112812g.JPG
    112812g.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 2

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
That coin silver can be hard to track, usually made by local silversmiths.
I found another davison piece, it looks like yours might have the same 'odd shoulders' mentioned.
A spoon marked DAVISON with odd shoulders - SMP Silver Salon Forums
I had thought coin flatware was mostly pre 1825, I'll try looking again later, I'm already late for work :laughing7:
I've been able to track two pieces I've found, both were around 1800.
Nice find!!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That coin silver can be hard to track, usually made by local silversmiths.
I found another davison piece, it looks like yours might have the same 'odd shoulders' mentioned.
A spoon marked DAVISON with odd shoulders - SMP Silver Salon Forums
I had thought coin flatware was mostly pre 1825, I'll try looking again later, I'm already late for work :laughing7:
I've been able to track two pieces I've found, both were around 1800.
Nice find!!

I don't have any info on that nice spoon, but it looks like that's a great forum--hopefully they can shed some light on that spoon as well as one of mine unearthed this summer. Thanks!

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool find

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread