need help, im a first time buyer

amandagoode

Jan 19, 2013
kentucky
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I'm wanting to buy a metal detector. Not sure where I even need to start. I need something easy to use, but doesn't cost a whole lot. Cause who knows if I can even do this. I'm wanting a metal detector to search property that my grandparents own. There was a house there, not sure when it burned down. They bought it in the late 70s and the house had been gone for years. When I was little we could find horseshoes, old metal children's toys, broken jade, and silverware etc. I'm wanting a metal detector to look for coins, Jewelery, and things like that. Could some please lead me in the right direction in which metal detector would make me a great starter detector. Thanks

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett makes a good one for low cost in the ace models and they work very well,,, and you would want to get a tool for digging and holster for it, i use the ace 150 which ran me 158 bucks brand new, but radio shack sell there brand etc....the one i use is simple and easy to use water proof coil the control box is not , but look at different ones see what will suit your needs , and good luck and welcome to the form an happy hunting

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Amanda and welcome to TNet!

As nsdq said, there are a number of choices that you can go with, it all depends on you and how much you want to spend. I don't recommend getting a machine that is an off brand only because you don't usually get a quality product. If your going to spend the money you may as well get a detector that will do the job. Here are a couple of choices that I think will be heplful for you as you continue to look for a machine

Tesoro Compadre Metal Detector $160 (personal Favorite)
Garrett Ace 150 Metal Detector $152
Fisher F2 Metal Detector $200
Teknetics Alpha 2000 Metal Detector $200
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Pro $189

Now, you will get opinions on all these machines, they are all good and work well, it's just up to you as to which you may like an want to start with.

Good luck and HH (happy hunting)

Pulltab Parson

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As others have said, there are any number of good detectors. People mostly recommend what they own and have experience with. I own a Garrett Ace 250 and a Minelab E-Trac. The E-Trac is expensive and not really a beginners machine although if you learn it you will have a machine that does every type of detecting well except for underwater. The Ace 250 is easy to operate and works well anywhere except for possibly on saltwater beaches. If beach hunting isn't in your future the Ace might be all the detector you will ever need. The most important thing with any detector is to be patient and take the time to learn what it is telling you. Someone with an entrance level detector who knows the machine will find more than someone with a much more expensive machine they don't understand. Accept that you will dig a LOT of trash and don't let it discourage you. As you get better at interpreting what your machine is saying you will dig more good stuff and less trash. Keep in mind though that if you aren't digging at least some trash you will be leaving some good things in the ground. Gold rings and pull tabs unfortunately show up equally well on most detectors. Since you will be searching an old homestead I'd urge you to dig every signal. If the site is target rich you may get get tired of digging rusty nails after a couple of dozen and increase your machine's discrimination level to ignore them. You will still find plenty of interesting things. Finally, dig carefully. The first time you dig an old coin or a piece of jewelry and damage it with your digging tool you will understand.

Have fun! It's a great hobby and the only one I ever had that paid for itself.

Storm

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the detectors that parson mentioned would be my first choices. Especially the Tesoro Compadre. So many people think they need a screen to look at to decide what they should dig. The screen is only a guess. The Compadre has no screen, so you dig when it beeps. Therefore, you dig alot more targets (good & bad) but you dont waste much time deciding whether you should dig or not. I still find targets in my backyard with my Compadre, even though I thought I cleaned it all out with my Fisher F2. The Compadre more than makes up for its lack of a display with the excellent performance it offers. Very sensitive to small gold jewelry, decent depth and excellent discrimination. Good luck on whatever you decide. Scott

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The choices above are all good choices, we sell a lot of Garrett Ace 250s. It's easy to use, has a coin and jewelry mode, pinpoints well,and is lightweight. Call us if we can answer any questions you have.

Wayne

www.MetalDetectingStuff.com

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Amanda and welcome to TNet!

As nsdq said, there are a number of choices that you can go with, it all depends on you and how much you want to spend. I don't recommend getting a machine that is an off brand only because you don't usually get a quality product. If your going to spend the money you may as well get a detector that will do the job. Here are a couple of choices that I think will be heplful for you as you continue to look for a machine

Tesoro Compadre Metal Detector $160 (personal Favorite)
Garrett Ace 150 Metal Detector $152
Fisher F2 Metal Detector $200
Teknetics Alpha 2000 Metal Detector $200
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Pro $189

Now, you will get opinions on all these machines, they are all good and work well, it's just up to you as to which you may like an want to start with.

Good luck and HH (happy hunting)

Pulltab Parson

don't for get the coin-master from white's 179.95 out the door.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never owned a detector before, and just got a Garrett Ace 350. Just happened to have 3or 4 days January thaw, here in Mich. and I got to use it for about 20 hours. Had no trouble finding 14 pennies, 2 quarters a Chuckie Cheese Token, and other misc. goodies, right out of the box. I did watch all their instructional videos a couple times, as well as a lot of others before I got it, really pleased, found it very easy to undrestand. Now the ground is froze solid, and I cant wait for spring

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amanda,
IF you have a local dealer and purchase it from them ask to see if they will give you some starter lessons and maybe some follow up help. A first time detectorist should have a "turn on and go" type of machine but it would also be nice if after you've learned the machine if you could then play with a few settings to tune in the ground for your area as well as to help you in digging fewer junk pieces. For a first time purchase I would NOT purchase a top end machine of any model as they offer way too much adjustability which, causes confusion. A few adjustments, fine. But no large amounts of adjustments. As one fellow indicated the screens have limite use until you really know the machine. Good luck..............63bkpkr

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amanda - As you can see from the posts here you have come to a good place to get help and information. There are a lot of friendly knowledgable folks here. The problem when asking a question like yours is there are probably as many preferences as there are users here... I really like the Garrett ACE models for beginner machines.

Another idea is to see if there are any detector clubs active in your area. You might get to see the different models in actual use and find the one that is just right for you.

OP
OP
amandagoode

amandagoode

Jan 19, 2013
kentucky
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again everybody. You guys are giving a lot of valuable info. I live in a very small town, so I'm not sure where the closest place would be where I could even go to buy one or ask questions. I seen a young man back in the summer using one down the road. So of course I turned around to check it out. He found a few things from the old railroad while I was standing there. Wish I would of thought to get his number. Sounds like a Garrett will be my best bet. Now time for me to figure out which one will be best for me. And again thank you!!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Compadre Metal Detector $160.Ease of use and life time warranty. A good detector to start with. I have had a tesoro for many years and do not hesitate to use it anytime. Have fun and find lots of lost treasure. The people on here are very knowledgable and helpful. Many detectors bought on line are tax free with free shipping and some give away diggers and such.Lots of good dealers on here to help.
Happy Hunting.
TnMtns

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whatever you choose to buy, if I was you, I'd stick to a brand that you can upgrade with. So, like, if you do happen to buy the Ace 150, you'd know that should you ever choose to upgrade (and you will, at least once, lol) you have a decent range of products with increasing functionality to upgrade to, rather than being forced to change brands and have to relearn the MD all over again. From what I understand (from people who've done it this way), the general response of the MD does not change, only what the MD can tell you will broaden. So whether you choose Garrett, Whites, MineLab, or Tesoro, make sure it's a brand you can stick with.
:occasion14:

EDIT: And yes, I would buy a kit. Garrett may be your best choice in the end bc everyone loves their Pro Pointer. Here's a few online dealers/stores:

Kellyco Detectors
Amazon.com: Metal Detectors
Sears: Metal Detectors
Metal Detectors.com

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread