All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

dantheman2745

Jul 15, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that stuff is all luck of the draw, there is really no strategy that will give you a solid roll.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way you'll find solid rolls is from customer rolls. You'll always find more 40's than 90's because of the silver content. Many people don't know about 40% halves.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got into coin roll hunting. Any pointers?? I only do $1000 at a time of only half dollars so far. I have maybe 4 90s and 39 40s and have looked through $10000 total I bet. How do you find the 90s? How do you find the solid rolls?? That would be a dream. Should I search in other denomination coins too

Only way to find solid rolls is to be at the right place at the right time. Whenever you pick up your boxes of halves always ask if they have any customer wrapped rolls as well. If they do then take them all. Unfortunately there is no magic formula to finding silver. I do recommend you read the beginners guide sticky at the top of this forum. It has some good pointers for beginners. Just make sure you are not bringing the halves back from the same bank you picked them up from.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the CRH club. Your already on the right track if you have searched through several $$$ worth of coin, just have to repeat the process over & over & over........
Good luck on your hunts, and HH (happy hunting). DozerD

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luck. Be at the right place at the right time.

To increase your chances of being at the right place at the right time, hit up as many banks as you can get to for CWR.

In regards to searching boxes, to increase your luck do more volume.

But, make sure you have a solid plan for dumping your coins first.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't pick up and dump in the same branch. Don't pick up and dump with the same coin carrier (Loomis, Dunbar, Brinks, etc.) ideally.

OP
OP
B

Beginner'sfindings

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the advice. Do y'all his big or small branches? Local or national banks? What denominations do you get?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got into coin roll hunting. Any pointers?? I only do $1000 at a time of only half dollars so far. I have maybe 4 90s and 39 40s and have looked through $10000 total I bet. How do you find the 90s? How do you find the solid rolls?? That would be a dream. Should I search in other denomination coins too

You have WELL above average totals for only $10,000 searched.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found quite a few solid rolls of 40% over the years. It's usually because someone takes their coin to the LCS and are offered face value or slightly above, so folks just cash 'em in at the bank. Back in 1980 the Hunt bros. didn't want 40% halves, were hard to sell even at $50 silver.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you do find that solid roll or if your really lucky rolls the addiction really sets in

OP
OP
B

Beginner'sfindings

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can wait to order more halves. I might try quarters too. Is that a good idea?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No on the quarters. Silver ones are as rare as hen's teeth!

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about nickels and dimes? Or stick with halves?

Try them all and decide for yourself. Quarters are the hardest to find silver so you can skip them or who knows maybe you will get lucky and find silver quarters. The point is get box of dimes and nickels one week and see how you do. Then get a box of pennies and see how you like searching them. I find my tastes change week by week and I get whatever I feel like.

OP
OP
B

Beginner'sfindings

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try them all and decide for yourself. Quarters are the hardest to find silver so you can skip them or who knows maybe you will get lucky and find silver quarters. The point is get box of dimes and nickels one week and see how you do. Then get a box of pennies and see how you like searching them. I find my tastes change week by week and I get whatever I feel like.

Thank you for the advice! Is there an easy way to search nickels? Why would you search pennies? For wheats or Indians?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the advice! Is there an easy way to search nickels? Why would you search pennies? For wheats or Indians?

Yep wheats, Indian heads, errors, flying eagles. There is no quick way to search nickels or pennies. You have to look at each coin. Silver war nickels are usually pretty easy to spot by their usually darker rims. But you have to physically look at the coins. If I don't have alot of time I like rim searching dimes, but if I have time I like looking through 10 dollars worth of pennies or a box of dimes. I do find getting pennies by the box does get tiring so I only get 5 or 10 dollars worth.

I also got a dansco folder for pennies and nickels that I enjoy trying to fill up. I also replace coins I already have with nicer coins I find.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my scale to check one cent pieces--------------2.5 flip to the left and 3.0+ flip to the right--------quick eyeball while sitting on scale.
I don't ck dates or MM's.
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread