need help in identification of these crystals

Dec 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in Acapulco, Mexico.
Specimen in matrix measures (9" x 7" x 3") and weighs 13lb

Blue crystals measure (6mm x 3 mm)

2 different forms of white crystals measure 3mm x 2 mm)

Gold crystals measure (1mm x 1mm)

The matrix appears to be made up of quartz with a 5mm band of mica running parallel to the crystal structure. there is also a green clay interspersed throughout the quartz.

Could this be Celestine?

Please forgive my ignorance in this matter, I am drawing on my limited knowledge of geology I learned in middle school over 30 years ago. IMG_3226.JPG IMG_3220.JPG IMG_3222.JPG

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very interesting...do you have a long and/or short-wave blacklight? I'm curious to see if any of it displays fluorescence.

I'm tempted to say the clear crystals are hemimorphite (pretty sure it is), the light blue possibly cuprian adamite (only 50/50 on that) and the little yellow globules have me scratching my head...possibly mimetite? (doubt it)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L
Dec 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for your response

Very interesting...do you have a long and/or short-wave blacklight? I'm curious to see if any of it displays fluorescence.

I'm tempted to say the clear crystals are hemimorphite (pretty sure it is), the light blue possibly cuprian adamite (only 50/50 on that) and the little yellow globules have me scratching my head...possibly mimetite? (doubt it)

I think you have me headed in the right direction. Could the light blue possibly be a copper rich hemimorphite? The golden brown maybe a biotite mineral that precipitated from the mica layer with iron oxide? Non-educated guesses here.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I doubt it, doesn't seem possible there would be two different colors from inclusions and two different crystal structures of hemimorphite intermixed. The golden brown I doubt is micaceous, I also thought of calcite/dolomite and a relatively good chance they are small sphalerite globules. Could be any of those...I looked up pictures of various specimens and haven't found anything similar to yours...you said it was found/mined in or around Acapulco?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread