Need help locating Harry J. Jones.

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Can anyone help me locate a map with the location of Camp Harry J. Jones near Douglas, Arizona? More specifically, the layout of the camp. This camp had about 15,000 troops there during the turmoil with one Francisco "Pancho" Villa. It was an artillery camp that also had about 1,000 horses and 200 mules. I have a lot of general info on this camp, but nothing more specific like gun emplacements and such. I am also trying to locate the outpost named Forrest Station which was located "a few miles west of Douglas."

hetzerrr

Aug 18, 2005
We have a map at 62k (about 1mi to the inch), 1914 survey of the area showing Forrest to the west of Douglas, AZ. Unfortunately, none that we have show the camp, even though their survey dates are the correct time period.

You might try the National Archives, at http://www.archives.gov/research/guide-fed-records/groups/394.html#394.5. This entry indicates that cartographic records may exist for this area. The records are likely in College Park, Maryland. Here's an excerpt of the page:

394.5 Cartographic Records (General)
1922-42
120 items

Maps: Published maps compiled by the various corps areas, showing military activities, maneuver grounds, and plans of forts in each area, and including, for the VIII Corps Area, maps of Mexico and the Mexican border, 1922-42.

If you're interested in the topographic maps of the area we have, please contact me off list.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
http://www.mycochise.com/campjones.php

Camp Harry J. Jones is located on the Mexican border just east of Douglas and was active from around 1910 to about 1933. It was named for Corporal Harry J. Jones, an enlisted man shot Nov. 2, 1915, while guarding the U. S. Customs House in Douglas.

At this time Pancho Villa with his large army tried to capture Agua Prieta, Mexico ? the border town next to Douglas. This move was not successful.

The U.S. recognized Carranza and allowed him to bring his army by way of the Southern Pacific Railroad from El Paso, TX. When the two Mexican armies clashed in Mexico, many men were killed in both armies. Corporal Harry J. Jones was the only American killed.

Originally when the Camp was established it was called Camp Douglas. The soldiers were to guard the US/Mexico border in that area as Mexico was having a number of revolutions with much fighting in the border towns.

In February 1916, the Sixth Brigade?s Commanding Officer asked that the camp be named in honor of Corporal Harry J. Jones.

OP
OP
DigEmAll

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Thanks Gypsyheart, I finally located Forrest station. A few miles west turnd out to be ten miles west. I know the general location of Harry Jones, but I need a map of the camp, or something similar. The main part of the camp is now in town. If I could locate more exact locations, I could hunt some of the outer areas of the camp and the arty emplacements. Thanks again! I hadn't seen the site with all the pics.

;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread