23.9 KB · Views: 11,223

GpSnoopy

Sep 14, 2008
Grande Prairie, AB
Detector(s) used
MXT, Sovereign GT, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several gold/silver purchasing sites list GS as Gold Shell and will not purchase items with this stamp.

agold2cashexchange.com said:
We do not purchase plated gold. Look to see if you have any items with the following markings. GE or GF - Gold Filled | RGP - Rolled Gold Plate | EPNS - Electroplated Nickel Silver | HGE - Heavy Gold Plate | GS - Gold Shell | GP - Gold Plate | KP - Karat Plated

Upvote 0
OP
OP
testing123

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Several gold/silver purchasing sites list GS as Gold Shell and will not purchase items with this stamp.

The GS certainly is grounds for a pause. In the post you copied... Isn't KP a good thing thiugh because it stands for plumb, not plated?

Upvote 0

GpSnoopy

Sep 14, 2008
Grande Prairie, AB
Detector(s) used
MXT, Sovereign GT, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct and glad you spotted it. I'd hate to be responsible for passing on incorrect information.

I copied this info from just one of many sites, just to confirm what GS stood for, and didn't think to verify that every other acronym listed on each site was correct. Looking back, this was the only one (could be others out there though), that posted they would not take KP stamped items. Makes you wonder where they got their info from....... gold exchange industry, or just googled it themselves? Good example of how misconceptions occur. I wonder how many people tossed away perfectly good jewelry because this vendor told them KP meant plated.

Here's an answer to "what does 14kp stamped on gold mean" from one of the more popular wiki answer sites.

"PLUMB GOLD A term used to describe gold jewelry that contains the precise amount of gold in the alloy that the Karat mark indicates. In the past an item marked 14Kt could legally have been 13.5 karat and still considered 14K. Today an item marked 14k must be at least 14 of 24 parts fine gold and is considered plumb gold. In some instances manufacturers have marked their jewelry 14KP meaning plumb, but inadvertently have confused the public that believed the 14KP mark meant gold plated. "

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is a really helpful thread, thanks! A year ago I bought a pair of 18k earrings for my wife while in India. Back in the US I had them tested by my local jeweler who says they are "about 16k' of true purity...apparently they get to round up quite a bit in the Indian jewelry industry!

Upvote 0

Wes1234

Mar 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently purchased 10k solid gold moon cut chain from itshot.com

This is not a metal detecting find, but I'm curious what 417 GS means? 417=10k, but is GS the manufacturer, or could it mean something like gold shell? Thanks for any help you can provide!

The solid gold 10k chain moon cut chain stamped oval part after lobster clasp top reads 10kt bottom of oval part says GS GS must be makers mark itshot.com been in business for years any body have any thoughts on this

Upvote 0

Wes1234

Mar 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The chain costed me $735.00 there's no way it could be gold shell or plated right

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread