need help on my MXT

F

falcon62

I am having trouble with my mxt.I fire it up and pump it off the ground like it says to do,I was relic hunting today and got really good shows on bullets,belt buckles.got to digging and would come up with part of aluminum can.I have it on where factory says to put it.But,come up with same problem.or I can be coin shooting and it will say a penny or nickel.I sweep it over a couple times and it says a variety of things jumping from bottle cap,ring,hot spot,iron and so on can any1 help plz.I've had it for a month,thx falcon

RonNewbie

Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, MXT
I would get in touch with Whites as soon as possible with your problem. That way, if it needs to go back to them for repairs, you would have it back in time for spring hunting...!

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
do you have a scuff or coil cover? check for dirt inbetween the cover and coil.
are you ground balancing over a metal free area.
reread the manual cover to cover.make sure coil cable connection is snug.coil cable
free from too much wobble or play.check batteries.

just a couple suggestions good luck

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solx nailed most of the things that could be wrong. On checking the batteries, not only make sure they are inserted correctly, but check the voltage of each battery. It only takes one bad one to do what your experiencing.

Make sure the coil plug is tight and all the pins are straight. Does the instability happen if you move the coil wire?

Now the biggie.....Turn down the sensitivity to half and try it. Many search with to much sensitivity thinking this always gets them more depth. Not over highly mineralised ground.

Good Luck,
Sandman

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Some of this I'll talk about you may or may not already know. So disregard this post if at the end all you have to say is "well duh!". I've no idea how long you've been detecting sooo..... let's get back to basics.
First make sure you're ground balancing over "clean" ground. It does no good to ground balance if your coil is over some kind of metal object. Either trash or treasure.
Also, the target must be under the CENTER of the coil on the MXT to give you the most accurate information. When you first locate a target pinpoint immediately. Then release the trigger and scan the target. You will then be sure you are swinging the coil directly over the target and getting the most accurate info.
The MXT does NOT average the info it receives from the target with every swing like many detectors do. This averaging gives the impression that the detector is a more stable unit and able to "lock on" the target. But the MXT gives you more accurate info because you're receiving fresh info with every swing. But don't spend too long swinging the coil over the target because the MXT's advanced ground tracking system will actually track out the target.
Ignore the icons. Pay attention to the VDI numbers, the audio of the target, and the "probability" bars.
If the VDI is jumping around and it's a shallow target it's garbage. Depending on your soil if it's jumping around but the depth is over 5" it might be a keeper. The deeper the target the harder time a detector has in making an accurate ID. But digging most targets while learning a detectors language is always smart.
Numerous targets near each other will also give a detector fits and cause the VDI to jump around.
Hope that helped. If that didn't this will. Unless you already know about this site. If not, scan the old posts to get answers to all your questions. Most questions have already been asked on this site. But feel free to ask any you can't find answers to.
Good luck and have fun.

http://www.findmall.com/list.php?25

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread