Need help on silver pendant

NJ Garrett

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all!

Typical Saturday hunt for me while my son was in art class. I went to my "regular" spot, and I found several wheat pennies, and a nice Andrew Jackson presidential token.

I found this interesting pendant. You'll have to trust me that there was a loop at the top, so this is not a coin. Definitely silver, roughly 4 g. One side has a bust with the name "Roma". The other side has a different bust with no name. On both sides, the busts have significant "relief".

I tried to do some searches, and came up with some Roman coins, but couldn't find anything that matches this. It is an oddly shaped pendant. Roughly the diameter of a nickle, but asymmetric.

Any suggestions on how to ID this would be greatly appreciated!

Kevin

IMG_1042.JPG IMG_1040.JPG IMG_1043.JPG

Upvote 7

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spin it! And see if an image appears! Sound insane, but try it! :laughing7: It's an out there guess!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The image on the pendant portrays Mercury. The helmet with wings was worn by both the Roman god Mercury as well as the Greek god Hermes.
There is a Roman coin called Sextans that has a bust of Mercury wearing a winged helmet, that is somewhat similar to the one on your pendant.
Congrats on your find.

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that's really cool!

Congrats :icon_thumright:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Thinking that this is modern jewelry designed and influenced by that Roman coin that against the wind mentioned...

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have freaked out if I pulled that bad boy out!

OP
OP
N

NJ Garrett

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! The one side is Mercury, and the other side appears to be donning a Spartan helmet. Leonidas maybe? The closest that I could come to a match was this site: https://www.etsy.com/listing/242156740/god-poseidon-neptune-ancient-greek-coin Not a perfect match, but it's similar. Totally agree that this is not a Roman artifact (lol). Was hoping that I could connect it to a manufacturer and date. :)

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Kevin

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it were modern silver,I would expect it to be marked somehow, but it definitely looks struck as opposed to cast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread