goldenrod

Greenie
Aug 4, 2010
sw ohio
Detector(s) used
garrett gta350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an opportunity that is in conjunction with the local Hist. Soc. But there is a sticking point The local Arch. who would be in charge has a lets say reservations about using hobbyists
help on this project (after seeing american diggers).
So if any one out there has articles from magazines or newspapers showing or telling of the two groups working together please clue me in i would like to prove this person wrong
I believe that by doing this it will hopefully create better relations between the two studies. thanks to all who respond.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You may get a better relation between you and the local arch. or historical society, but you won't with the collective.

Best way to offer your assistance is to suggest purchasing utility/landscape flags to assist in pinpointing finds. Offer to detect and mark the finds and allow the arch. to dig it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Did he specifically say "it's because I saw American Diggers"? Because let me tell you, this WAY predates any such shows. Ie.: welcome to the harsh cruel reality of archies and their views on MD'rs. I've been in this for 35+ yrs, and I can assure you that the "reservations" you describe, way predate any such shows. Oh sure, an archie may allude to this, in backing up his pre-dispositions, but ....... rest assured, their dislike for md'rs goes way back. Not all archies are this "purist" types, but a lot of them are.

I've worked with archies before on their sites, and it's no fun at all. It's not at all what you'd think anyhow (eg.: hear a beep, dig up the signal, and look at it, etc...). Instead, you have to plant a teensy flag, and they come back later with gps, and tweezers to dig it out, and write a 3-page volume on the depth, angle, relationship to other things and pebbles in the hole, blah blah blah. One time I worked with an archie where a Chinese fishing village had been. The village had burned down at the turn-of-the-century, and had been a modern boat works repair yard ever since then (filled with modern junk, slag, tabs, foil, etc...). Imagine the archies surprise when every sweep of the coil produces a chorus of non-stop beeps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread