Need help PLEASE

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Go with the CZ 21. The tiger shark is for fresh water. The CZ 21 will work on land, fresh or salt water.

OP
OP
R

raider rich

Greenie
Mar 20, 2011
Thanks steve. Do you know if the cz21 will perform as well as the tiger shark in fresh water

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know people with CZs and they can tell the difference between just about anything by the sounds. I know it is one of the really good UW detectors. I would go with it.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own 3 CZ21's - they all work great in fresh and salt water

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a pic here of earring backs I had gotten with the CZ20 in fresh water but can't find it now. It all depends on how much you want to spend. The Tiger will work well in freshwater and at the beach dry sand, but will false in the wet even in Salt Mode. The CZ21 will hunt both fresh and salt water with no trouble.

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 - W/Stealth 8 - Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Rich, you received some feedback from some of the best hunters out there.. especially Casper, he's a wealth of information and a great guy. The CZ-20/21 is the way to go..... Good luck.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I used to have a Tesoro Sting Ray years ago, and it was a TR type of detector and an underwater detector, and it was very sensitive to tiny gold, really surprised me on how sensitive it was on little tiny gold jewelry, and worked great in fresh or dry, but in the saltwater in salt mode, it still constantly falsed. I dont know if a Tiger Shark is a TR or a VLF, but I do know it does not like salt water also.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must have the only Tiger Shark that does not false in salt water. Either that, or I'm the only one willing to say so. :icon_scratch:

I hunt in Central Florida. Once I ground balance, I'm good to go. The only time it falses is if I bump the coil.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevemc said:
I used to have a Tesoro Sting Ray years ago, and it was a TR type of detector and an underwater detector, and it was very sensitive to tiny gold, really surprised me on how sensitive it was on little tiny gold jewelry, and worked great in fresh or dry, but in the saltwater in salt mode, it still constantly falsed. I dont know if a Tiger Shark is a TR or a VLF, but I do know it does not like salt water also.

Years ago I had a Sting Ray and at the time I was using a CZ5 with salt mode switch.
I used it for 2 years and discovered I could not pick up small gold in the salt water with that machine...
Then I tried my Stingray that I had hanging on the wall.....
Boy did I feel stupid... In 6 months I had more gold from the salt water beaches than I did in 2 years
with the CZ-5
Although you will get some falsing in the salt water sand, I have never seen a machine that would get the small gold in the salt water sand like the Stingray did...
I was able to turn the disc down low and pick up small gold without much trouble, yes it would beep if you hit the coil on the sand, or over a water filled hole.....
But most machines will do that some....
I want to know if the Tiger Shark has the same electronics as the Stingray did... TR hunting... ?
Does anyone know ?

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
I too have a Tiger Shark that does not false on salt beaches. I had to turn down the sensitivity screw inside the case for the salt beach in the salt mode. I could run the sensitivity slightly higher in fresh water in the normal mode. But it does not seem as though I lost any depth, so I have set it for the beach and left it there. However, I will say that the Tiger Shark does not like wave action. It can be quite annoying in the rolling edge of the surf. It also does not like the coil to bump anything like sand or grass. With that said, it is a solid machine with an unbeatable warranty. I have found several gold items at 8-10" deep with it. BTW, it is a VLF. I do not own the CZ20/21 so I cannot compare the two. When I purchased the Tiger Shark, I was considering the CZ20 as well, (at the time both had a lifetime warranty and I was leaning toward the CZ20) but that was when the company was changing hands and the CZ20 detectors were not available. When I bought the Tiger Shark, I thought I could do it all with one detector, five years later I own 3 beach detectors and still have not found one that draws you to the gold like a magnet ;D I guess it just takes knowing your detector, using it a lot with a good technique and learning the beach where you hunt. Every year I seem to get a little bit smarter and find a few more nice things even thought the competition is ever increasing. Good luck on your selection and HH, Ralph

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions