D-VO

Greenie
Aug 19, 2019
St-Lazare, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found what I thought was a file cabinet in an old bank vault that is in a building I purchased. It was behind some boxes. I drilled out the file cabinet lock and found that the top two drawers had cash register style metal trays and the bottom one contained a safe with the keys in the lock. You would think that you could just turn the key and open the safe but it does not open, Instead you can hear a ticking timer as the key slowly turns itself back to square after about 10 or 15 minutes or so. I then try the key again and the same sequence happens again. There must be a trick to it but I cannot find anything online. Anyone out there have any experience with timed safes? I will include a few pictures. I can't find much about the company online either.

Sorry if this was not the proper location to post this but I couldn't find a section on safes.
Thanks so much.

safe1.jpg
safe2 .jpg
safe3.jpg

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is a clock like mechanism inside and the safe will not open even with a key if the time of opening is wrong. For example if the timer was set for 2:00 pm then that is the only time the key will work to unlock the door. So the only trick is to use the key at the right time. You will probably need to force the doors somehow to get it open.

Guardrailnickel

Jan 11, 2020
Pa. 19512
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you already drilled the lock, why not just cut it open? Honestly I cant imagine a bank leaving cash behind. Now if you have locked safe deposit boxes, that is a different story. Is so go for them first. Good luck!

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is a clock like mechanism inside and the safe will not open even with a key if the time of opening is wrong. For example if the timer was set for 2:00 pm then that is the only time the key will work to unlock the door. So the only trick is to use the key at the right time. You will probably need to force the doors somehow to get it open.

How will the safe know what time it is?
I would think a good locksmith could explain how it's supposed to work.??
Be interesting to find out! Good thing no one had a gun to your head as you try to open it :-)

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don't you contact the safe company with a model and ask them ?

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well what you could do is try it every minute, after all 24 hours has 1,440 minutes, it's bound to be one of them! :laughing7::laughing7:

I would get 2 big pry bars and a sledge hammer and rip the door off!

OP
OP
D

D-VO

Greenie
Aug 19, 2019
St-Lazare, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love all of the input on this. I drilled the lock on the cabinet and discovered the safe. I would rather replace that small lock and use the safe if I can figure out how it works. It is very neat. One person told me that old bank safes were on a timer and as soon as the timer ends the door pops open. So I figured maybe it just needed some help to open so I placed a magnet with a handle on it and waited for the timer to run out and no luck pulling at that point. Very interested on how it works now lol. I am sure that the keys that were left in the safe also held the key to the cabinet lock that was a push to lock type. The mystery continues. Hoping there is a surprise left inside but I kinda doubt it. LOL

InAustralia.Jones

Mar 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
MineLab - GP3000, GPX4500, GPX5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TannTimer Lock.

The lock itself isn't complicated, it's latch is very similar to an ordinary house door lock, Latch and striker.

is you are not intending to keep the safe, use a 125mm grinder with 1mm cut disc - cut the latch off, the latch is level with the key hole at the opening end of door.

those time locks are tricky, who ever set it knows it's key position.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you set up a tension wrench type situation - as in screw driver through the key with a rubber band attatched to supply the tension on the key?

Is there another (different) key that fits the lock after the timer is finished - as in one key for the timer, seperate key to open? ( isee there are a few on the bunch)

Just guessing... Would love to see if anything is inside. I hope its got something awesome inside!

chub

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love all of the input on this. I drilled the lock on the cabinet and discovered the safe. I would rather replace that small lock and use the safe if I can figure out how it works. It is very neat. One person told me that old bank safes were on a timer and as soon as the timer ends the door pops open. So I figured maybe it just needed some help to open so I placed a magnet with a handle on it and waited for the timer to run out and no luck pulling at that point. Very interested on how it works now lol. I am sure that the keys that were left in the safe also held the key to the cabinet lock that was a push to lock type. The mystery continues. Hoping there is a surprise left inside but I kinda doubt it. LOL

If you are wanting to save the safe and being it is on a timer. I know it would be a pain in the you know what, but If you had time I would try it every minute and wait to see if the safe opened. Also, does the safe have a plug to plug in for power? If so then may have to wait until the unit fully charges itself. If not, then here is some places to look.

Some information on time delayed locks detail the key is turned and then it will open at a certain time during business hours whatever it was programmed for. A time-delay lock delays the opening of the lock after you have used the key or code, e.g. you must wait for a specified period of time before the safe will open. This is usually used to prevent a robbery as staff cannot be forced to opened the safe immediately

I can't post the whole link because I am using a government computer and they block some websites.

https://www.shanken.co.za/[URL="https://www.shanken.co.za/time-delay-locks"][URL="https://www.shanken.co.za/time-delay-locks"]time-delay-locks[/URL][/URL]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-delay_combination_locks

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here is John Tann's website and contact info, Give them a call

http://www.142092.mrsite.com/Tann--John-Tann-Safes(2998557).htm

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be to impaitent and ruin the safe. The safe company may help you !!

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting read....

I have a Personal Page, "Scotts Locks."

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/au24k/417979-scotts-locks.html

I have dealt with a few safes over the years, but have never had one with a timer.

The last safe that I bought was from an older couple who had bought their house some 20 years ago and it was in the basement when they bought it.
They were going to do some remodelling and they just wanted it gone and out of the way.
I told them I'd give them $50 AND carry it out by myself.
It was about the size of a large microwave.
The man said, "Deal! I'll hold the doors for you."

Anyway, when I lifted it, i shook it a bit and could tell that there was stuff inside.

I got it home, drilled for the spot to read the tumblers, and it swung open!

It was packed with old legal looking papers and,
In a cloth bag, was a $20 Gold St. Gauden's! GEM UNC! (IMHO)
It's my Avatar.

I filled the drill hole and have another useable safe!

I will ask around with my sources about time delay safes.

DON'T tear it up!

Older, unusual type safes can bring good money!

Good Luck!

Be Well!

Scott

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Cool, Scott! I've got an old safe that needs drilled to get open. I hate to ruin the old oil painting of the front! It's a four wheel from what I understand. I have NO IDEA what's in it and I have had it for like 15 years. I saved it from the trash hoping to be able to save and use it. If you have any idea of help that i could get here in Denver, please advise.

GL with the time safe.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, Scott! I've got an old safe that needs drilled to get open. I hate to ruin the old oil painting of the front! It's a four wheel from what I understand. I have NO IDEA what's in it and I have had it for like 15 years. I saved it from the trash hoping to be able to save and use it. If you have any idea of help that i could get here in Denver, please advise.

GL with the time safe.

Cool!

Sounds like a 4 wheel combo. How did you come to that conclusion?
My clue was the "painting on front."
Older safes with the painted images are quite valuable.
Depending on size and interior compartments and configurations, could easily bring a few thousand.....
Older?

Perhaps a picture could help...

Best Wishes,

Scott

ADDED:
There are actually 2 different ways to defeat the locking mechanism.
One is to drill.
BUT! Exactly WHERE to drill?
There are so many different mechanisms on so many different brands of safes.
I have successfully drilled 9 safes and been able to fill the drill holes and have a perfectly good safe.

The other method is what us locksmiths call an "Auto Dialer."

There's good and bad with this method.
#1 Bad, for me, is the cost of the gear weighed against only a few safe calls a year.
So, I drill!

If you call a locksmith, ask if they have an auto dialer and how much. Can they drill and how much for that.
Just an afterthought.....

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I the only one that thinks calling the manufacturer of a safe to figure out how to defeat a safe is an unlikely idea?

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I the only one that thinks calling the manufacturer of a safe to figure out how to defeat a safe is an unlikely idea?

A lot of times, the older the safe, the more times that the combination has likely been changed from the original "factory" set combination.
Especially in a bank.....Plan A or Plan B?
Good luck trying to chase down an older safe manufacturer for help.
(HINT: Don't waste your time!)
Lock companies change hands at the whim of a stock gain. Dig?

I remember one time, a while back, calling a major lock company, looking for obscure parts to older locks that I was working on.
I was told that, "Yes!

They had that part!
But, I couldn't buy it because it was in their museum......

Well now....
Don't that just make you feel "Spring-Time" young?

Best,

Scott

Last edited:

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real question is how long of a time limit does the Safe have that it is open for? If you think about it you can probably guess the times that it would have been able to be opened and try those times. Early morning or later in the evening. A timed safe wouldn’t be opened mid day.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you turn the key and it winds down, have you tried turning it in opposite direction?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions