ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks,

im a long time collector from Canada...specifically the east. I've recently moved to western Canada (Alberta) and have very little experience with points from this neck of the woods. I bought a small handful of artifacts from a gentleman today. They were from his fathers farm in central Alberta.

the main piece I was interested in was this paleo point. It's made of a pinkish quartzite. It is a shouldered point which seems somewhat unusual. One shoulder is slightly different. I suspect it was at one time larger and was reworked (in ancient times). The lower stem has been ground. There are traces of a shallow flute. The ears at the bottom are somewhat flat. Hard to tel if they were ground down like that or both are broken off which seems strange.

any thoughts on the point type/variety? Would love some opinions.

All I am certain of is that this is a paleo point.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    807.6 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    836.4 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    545.1 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way out of my area but sure looks nice. Is the red dot on the one side in the material by mother nature?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try this link. These are some Paleo and Archaic types from the US just below Alberta and could be related. There are several that look very similar to yours, especially the Lovell, McKean, and maybe the Pryor.

Projectilepoints

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Lovell would be my first guess if the base is nicely ground.
nice one too!! Whatever it is!

chase2

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Try this link. These are some Paleo and Archaic types from the US just below Alberta and could be related. There are several that look very similar to yours, especially the Lovell, McKean, and maybe the Pryor.

Projectilepoints

Mckean would be my guess. Here is one that is close to the artifact your showing. Not the best pic for sure.
DSCN0846.JPG

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Thanks for the opinions, links and information. It does look somewhat like the McKean only mine seems better made, a little larger and thinner. I suppose quality is all over the place with any points.

thanks everyone. Much appreciated

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread