• RSCN0153.JPG
    RSCN0153.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 82

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
FS - unfortunately, maverick tokens with just initials are almost impossible to prove where they came from, let alone get possibilities. Some guy with initials A. R. S. probably ran a pool hall or saloon ca. 1895-1905 and used these in his business. Even if we assume it came from an Indiana business, there are probably a hundred people who had those initials in that decade, and figuring which is a daunting task. Old directories, census images, and newspapers are the sources for names, but...

I don't find it in either the IN Trade Token book, the updates to it, or Richard's Token Database - TokenCatalog.com but you might consider posting it to the latter and hope that someone can help.

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
fishstick

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT, Thanx for goin threw the trouble and help with it. Im not all that on a computer so postin it somewhere elsewood take my sisters doin. I no I no, sad but true. I thgt it was strange only sayin 5 in trade and not cents or drink or game. Thanx again.. HH

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
FS--Quite often there were local laws against gambling, so there are a lot of tokens without the ¢ sign. The thought was that if the sheriff raided the place, he might be able to be convinced that they were not "gambling for money" - the tokens were not good for cash, so they were just like poker chips. That worked in some cases, I suppose, but it was tried in a lot more. The fact remained, though, that the token was good for 5¢ in the business.
John in the Great 208

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions