Need help with an old chinese coin

sshafer11

Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to be to be from the Qing dynasty? but I can't match it up. Thanks for any input!
YawZKBj.jpg 6qeq9lF.jpg

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The grainy surface means that it is a fake. Although they are usually almost worthless, there are tons of fakes for jewelry.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
The grainy surface means that it is a fake. Although they are usually almost worthless, there are tons of fakes for jewelry.

Although there are a lot of fakes made for jewelry, when it comes to cash coins a grainy surface doesn't always mean its a fake. After all, these coins were cast and not struck (with the exception of some of the very last cash coins which were struck) and so while grainy surfaces are nearly 100% evident that the coin has been cast (and therefore fake for just about every coin that isn't a cash coin) its hard to tell if it is authentic simply based on the fact it looks cast because the genuine coin was cast.

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw this post from 2013 and would like to add more information. It appears to be a 常平通宝 (chinese: chang ping tongbao)which is a coin from Joeson Dynasty (korean).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseon

the coin itself would have been minted from 1633 or later. Here is a photo of a similar coin.
chaoxian.jpg

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Yang Hoa for your help with the Asian currency. Your insight and knowledge are an asset to the forum. I have a lot of difficulty with the different characters and it is great to have your input.
(I specifically looked at this thread when I saw you had replied.)

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Yang Hoa for your help with the Asian currency. Your insight and knowledge are an asset to the forum. I have a lot of difficulty with the different characters and it is great to have your input.
(I specifically looked at this thread when I saw you had replied.)

Thank you. I like helping out forum members with their treasure finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread