mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So are you able to find targets after you have ground balanced? If so I would not worry about it at the moment. Or are you saying the detector does not make any sounds while ground balancing?

OP
OP
rotty23

rotty23

Nov 9, 2005
Greer SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab quattro and AT Pro
Yes I'm able to find targets. It just seemed strange that with this red clay that the machine wouldn't need to ground balance. I've watched numerous videos including Garretts instructional video and my machine is silent during the process unlike theirs which are beeping while balancing. I just had the concern that if it wasn't balancing properly then it wouldn't hunt properly either.
Thanks for the response.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That doesn't sound right to me. Does the numeric value of the ground balance ever change when you ground balance? Try to manually lower or raise the value then ground balance and see if it changes.

HH, RN

OP
OP
rotty23

rotty23

Nov 9, 2005
Greer SC
Detector(s) used
I'll look at today and post a answer.
Thanks for your reply.

OP
OP
rotty23

rotty23

Nov 9, 2005
Greer SC
Detector(s) used
I did go out and test the ground balance process. The gb values did move a bit from 82 to 86 but no real sound reaction.
So I guess it is ground balancing but just not what I'm seeing on Garretts video. All three sites I've used this machine on have reacted the exact same way. Am I correct in saying that the soil in different sites is not exactly the same? And that each gb could or should be slightly different? I'm just going to keep on swinging and hope for the best.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
HH
Phil

Last edited:

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Different areas of the same site can have different numbers. I always ground balance a few times during the day.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always wondered about the ground balance on my AT as well, always at 93-92 at least here in western Oregon, I find things no problem, but the ground balance #'s are always the same, I'm sure it's fine, but sometimes still wonder. During a hunt, I re ground balance every so often, number stays the same.

Indiana Bones

Greenie
Apr 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, my atp doesnt make a whole lot of noise while gb ing....it kinda grunts in some areas (while pumping your loop vertically)
And high pitch ...weak chirp in other areas....im in Indiana med. Mineralization... N i
Get gb numbers from 85. To 93. Depending on the amount of min. In the ground...
If you are finding deep targets ..you're probably fine...
HH

coil2thesoil35

May 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been hunting with at pro for a while now and killing the silver this year. I don't care if it's silent every time. Anytime u change sensitivity or mode or frequency re balance bro. I know Sounds crazy but do it. If u can shove a rod in the ground 14 inches consistently without hitting rock then ur number will stay same. If ur on a rock shelf like me here in central Texas the ground depth changes so much i balance every 30 mins of hunting just to make sure I'm square.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread