Need help with business/type card to break ice with homeowners!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

John Silvered

Apr 18, 2012
Arrrrgh.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People generally don't like to be surprised with well anything. Possible to print up a slew of sell sheets outlining your
(fill in blank) distribute them about your intended market area and then follow up in person the next day?

You'd then have a business card in hand that matches the look of the sell sheet that they received the day before. You would also have extra sell
sheets on hand in case they "misplaced" the ones from yesterday but are interested now.

OP
OP
Hot zone

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like to knock on doors. But would rather it was more casual. The idea of a card that simply says lost jewelry found for free could be placed on a bulletin board for instance. But I think there is the problem of someone wondering what is in it for me. I know the parks all are hammered to death and the good stuff is in the yards. We have little history out here and need the edge.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning Hot zone,
I've used this method many years ago before all the TV shows and before so many folks came into the "Hobby" to make a killing instead of just enjoying it, I'd guess those would be the ones that do not fill in their holes. So for those who just enjoy being out this is what I did - the card had my name, a short sentence about the hobby I have, that I'm willing to give them a half hour of yard work for the opportunity to detect their yard and here is the touchy part I "probe" with a 1/8" diameter probe so I do not dig holes but IF you dig then you have to somehow reassure them that their lawn will not be damaged. Keep the card short and simple and to the point, verbally ask if they have lost anything in the yard that you could return to them should you find it or in other words, What can You do for them to say thank you for gaining access to their yard!

I had good success with this approach. Then if there are children around that belong at the house you can share with them what you are doing by unplugging the earphones so they can hear. Then if they ask if they can have the next piece of "junk" that you take out of the ground tell them sure! I had the best time at one home where the three children, two boys and their sister, followed me around when the little girl hit on the idea of getting the trash. The next thing that came out of the ground was a 45 ACP bullet complete with rifling! The boys were crestfallen to say the least. The next item was more or less junk and that went to the oldest boy. The next item, when I pulled it out and saw what it was made me wonder what I should do so I told the youngest of the boys who's turn it was for this piece of junk that he had to take it to his Dad to ask if it was OK for him to have. He RAN into the house screaming Dad, Dad look what he Found! He also came screaming back out of the house Dad said I could Keep It and he's going to put it in oil to soak!!!!!! He was so excited about his new to him pocket knife. Have fun, share it with others, dress neatly, be polite, give something to your benefactors and simply be thankful for your chance to detect this possible undetected jackpot of ground. Hint, look for the oldest parts of town. Clue - Big Trees shout at you "over here".

Ok, hope this helps!
63bkpkr

OP
OP
Hot zone

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep practicing removal with a screwdriver and it works most of the time. I had the electronic probe that beeps when u almost touch it, but it soon malfunction stabbing it into hard soil. Rocks are a problem when I probe and think I have located it The garret pro pointer makes it easier to find them but deeper coins are impossible with screw driver without rotating to open up the hole. The other day in the park While carefully probing I saw evidence of a hack who made several holes, they were filled in but looked like hell. I quickly left for fear I would be accused of such slovenly behavior. I have decided to wait for my opportunities to venture into someone yard to come about because of idle conversation rather than push the card issue.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions