Need help with button ID

robberry

Feb 6, 2008
Central California, Now NW Florida!
Detector(s) used
EX2 with X-1 Sun Ray Probe
I found this button today, I know the larger one is a great seal, but I can't seem to find anything on the smaller of the two. The words, "waterbury scovill mf'g co" are on the back. I searched and I seen to websites with the manufactory dates of 1850-1865. Anyhelp would be nice....thanks for looking and HH

Attachments

• \'20 Merc and Buttons 002.JPG
    \'20 Merc and Buttons 002.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 387
Upvote 0

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
The smaller is a marine button. Not sure on the larger button. Check out www.civilwarbuttons.com they have one similar to the smaller of the two.

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Also check out ebay search terms Military Buttons and Marine Buttons

daimlerbenz

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2007
New Jersey
Hello robberry,
I found the identical Button with the anchor a couple of months ago here in New Jersey.
A friend of mine has wife that works in the Historic society and she did a little research and found it to be a Navy/Marine Button used from 1820-1840.
Great Buttons :) I just love finding old Military buttons.
Good Luck and i hope this was helpful.
daimlerbenz

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice buttons!

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
The larger button is a U.S. Army "Great Seal" general service button, c. 1902-present.

Welcome-3.jpg

Attachments

• Welcome-3.jpg
    Welcome-3.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 296

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice ! Big welcome to Tnet. Buttons to me are just as good as coins and sometimes better. ;)

Daniel in Ak

Feb 23, 2005
Alaska
coming from a former Marine that is exactly what the right button is,but its not from 1820-1840's We need to see the backmark for a positive id tho bud.Nice find tho wahoo! Daniel

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, if I learned anything in the 13+ years I spent wearing the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor it's would be what the buttons look like......and that's what the one on the right is!!! The pattern of the button dates back to the turn of the 19th Century. Except for changing to 5-pointed stars from 6-pointed right around the start of the Civil War, the design remains unchanged to this day.

Hey I learned all this stuff in Boot Camp in 1983, it's all still in the ol' brain housing group!

Yeah, I know, I'm over here in Iraq wearing an Army uniform right now (Thanks to the mid-90's Clinton drawdown....Lord knows what's gonna happen to our miltary if the other one makes it to thhe White House!!!) Sore subject, don't get me started!

Nice finds....WTG

HH,
SgtSki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread