Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Need help with coin I'd

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hello everyone hope your all enjoying this weather and swinging away finding great cool stuff whatever it may turn out to be.
I was hunting a site today again no clad a few early wheats and this coin it is the same size as a nickel but I do not think it is thinner the edged inside the rim are lined a bit any guesse image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I hope these can help. You guys said it looked like a liberty nickel
I'm not sure the banner in the headpiece is right for a nickel
I see some letters but it looks like U.S something. I don't see any liberty there. Still puzzling me. Solved it is a toasted 1882 nickel ! Still nice

Last edited:
Upvote 5

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So hard to tell. Can't really see anything in the pictures but it seems to be copper so maybe a smoked farthing? Just a guess.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Second photo there looks like a couple off numbers on the bottom, 173?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks a like a V nickel to me. I think I see face on first pic.

yea, the pic of the coin that is in your hand....looks like the shadow of Liberty of a V nick... never seen one that toasted though...:dontknow:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a shield nickel almost that toasted, I think I see the lines from the shield in the first pic, but I can be wrong

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Size of a nickel, copper composition and lines inside rim all say half Cent to me. Took 2 swipes to get thru Crusaders banner list, still working hard I see.

OP
OP
Eastcoasthunter21

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a left facing bust with a banner by headband. It looks like it says u.s To big for liberty I think. I have better photos.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm color blind so take this with a grain of salt...the numbers look like 1905 to me, other than that I don't see a thing. I have a couple of these that I haven't been able to identify at all myself, same size and width as a nickel, good luck with yours.

CORNSMOKE

Sep 17, 2015
Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1213736 View attachment 1213732 View attachment 1213734 View attachment 1213735 View attachment 1213733 Hello everyone hope your all enjoying this weather and swinging away finding great cool stuff whatever it may turn out to be.
I was hunting a site today again no clad a few early wheats and this coin it is the same size as a nickel but I do not think it is thinner the edged inside the rim are lined a bit any guesse View attachment 1213476 View attachment 1213477 View attachment 1213478 View attachment 1213479 View attachment 1213480

I hope these can help. You guys said it looked like a liberty nickel
I'm not sure the banner in the headpiece is right for a nickel
I see some letters but it looks like U.S something. I don't see any liberty there. Still puzzling me

... could even be a button back

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread