Need Help with Finding the Right Equipment

mbryant01

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
I need some help finding the right Metal Detector for the job. I have a cache site where a bunch of gold coins may be buried. The soil conditions are red clay, so the soil is mineralized. The cache is probably 2-4 feet deep and I guess about the size of a softball. I was wondering if there is anything out there that can handle this and also discriminate for gold? Thanks.

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a two box detector would be more inline for that kind of depth, Goodluck acman

BigBeefy

Jan 19, 2010
Knoxvegas, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me where this is and I will tell you if my detector found it or not :)

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the ground is bad then a two box may not cope whilst a pulse machine will. Various coil sizes cover most needs from coin hunting to hoards at several feet. Discrimination is quite effective on larger iron so you won't end up digging a car wheel at several feet. Some brands combine a magnetometer with the smaller coils to deal with smaller near surface iron. German models tend to be expensive though there's Polish and Bulgarian versions that can cost less than a new two box.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are hunting gold you will be hunting in ALL METAL - no discrimination. You need a Minelab GPX 5000 if you want a fighting chance. Best of luck!

I need some help finding the right Metal Detector for the job. I have a cache site where a bunch of gold coins may be buried. The soil conditions are red clay, so the soil is mineralized. The cache is probably 2-4 feet deep and I guess about the size of a softball. I was wondering if there is anything out there that can handle this and also discriminate for gold? Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread