rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this, what looks to be a die for the reverse side of a seated liberty quar. dol. It's backwards and indented instead of raised letters and eagle. Hard to see but it's there...heh. Also, I found this dime with what looks to be an "s" indented on the back instead of raised. Any thoughts? Thanks all. 765.jpg 764.jpg 762.jpg [/I] I posted both the front and back of this "thing"

Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like maybe a counterfeit coin collection in the making!

I agree, the quarter looks like someone made a mold for a legitimate quarter and this is just an impression. A fake?

The Seated time, you're right, someone stamped it. My best guess is someone tried to up the value by adding a mintmark, but it's so horribly done.

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with Accord. That dime looks to have been stamped post-minting. I'd keep it as a curiosity only.

Rascal

OP
OP
rodarian

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you. That confirms my thoughts on the dime for sure. It was a really bad effort on someones part for sure. I am going to keep it, it makes me smile. :) The odd piece of lead on the other hand, i may never know just what was going on there but i'll keep that aswell. Thanks again.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone just placed the lead piece on top of a legit coin, and hammered or pressed the two.

I dug a V nickel made the same way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread