Need help with id

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The Yellowstone Specialty Company was headquartered in Salt Lake City, UT and had a branch in Idaho Falls, ID. The Idaho branch is still in operation as operating pinball machines. Possibly other branches as well, although I haven't found any. It was listed in several directories as a manufacturer. I believe the company operated amusement machines of several types, probably including slot machines, in UT, ID, MT, & WY. The earliest directory listing I've found for the company in ID is 1919. There are denominations known from 5¢ up through $20, leading me to believe that the higher denominations were used somehow as counters. One possible scenario - a route serviceman would go into a tavern or wherever one of their machines was placed, open it up, count the cash, and give the proprietor tokens equalling the amount of the take. Then the proprietor would exchange them somehow through the Yellowstone Specialty company accounting department for his share of the value. They may have had some sort of sliding scale arrangement like "if the machine takes in $2.50, you get $1.25 and we get $1.25." This is purely speculation on my part. The higher denomination tokens could well have been payouts for real jackpots, and the customer could have exchanged them for face value in trade at the tavern where the machine was located. Or lost them in WY...

John in ID

OP
OP
B

braggsoldier

Aug 30, 2008
Wow thats the best answer ive gotten so far! Thanks alot! Any idea where I could find the value of this?

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Campbell's UT token book says $10-20. I think that is probably fairly accurate. ePay (assuming you would be interested in selling it, rather than just appraising it) would probably be the best avenue - good pictures and description under a proper listing - for finding what a collector would pay.
John in ID

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to post a pic. when your camera is fixed! By the way, I spent 3 years on Bragg. Never thought I'd miss it, but I do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions