Need help with identity of this find.

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440, E-Trac, Fisher F-Pulse pin-pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunted a residence built in 1888. Owner has way tooooo many metalic garden fixtures/what-nots, etc. combined with the expected accumulated abundance of iron objects (nails, screws, staples, so forth-n-so on) to make the hunt a particular fun one. I did find one object of interest. Its back (loop) would indicate 'button' but its size (1 5/8" Dia.) makes one wonder. I assume its brass/bronze but not sure. I don't have any idea as to its age. It was not particularly deep (~3") and moderately corrided as you can see. I'll provice (front/back) pictures before cleanup, plus one front image 'after'.

Here's where the mystrey comes in...as I was gently cleaning, I thought I detected a 'letter' on the front. As it turned out, it wasn't a letter. Cleaning more vigorously with a brass brush, I began to find strange symbols around the perimeter. I began to think they are Native American as one symbol looked like a 'shock of grain' as did a couple of others. But as I thoroughly cleaned all of the symbols, the others look like some form of 'cuneiform' or alphabet??? I've searched the internet for a number of days and cannot make a match. The symbols (11 total) begin at/around the two-o'clock position and proceed clockwise to the eleven o'clock area. Directly above the facial image, there is a mark which I believe was a solder point for an 'add on' item (?).

The embossed image on the front is that of a woman. Unfortunately, her face has become depressed or partially crushed. She has quite a bit of artistic detail but don't see any 'signature' by whomever originally created/designed it.

Hope you can help identify this pc. Help is appreciated and THANKS in advance!

40414a 001.JPG 40414a 002.JPG 40414a 003.JPG

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Well now,guess I'll be a monkeys uncle,ain't that a hoot!:laughing7: Looks like a striking resemblance
to me! I think it may be Chinese?????

GOD Bless

Chris

Attachments

• K800_007.JPG
    K800_007.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
monkeys uncle

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wordtalker;

Where did you dig yours? Any history relative to the site? What is the diameter of yours? Very similar, but the embossed face looks a bit different from mine even though her neckline seems to be identical.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
One monkeys uncle to another:laughing7:, House was built in 1830 here in Agawam,
can you tell if the symbols are the same?

OP
OP
monkeys uncle

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Symbols appear to be similar...particularly, the one situated at approx. two or three o'clock and looks something like a 'shock of grain'. There is another directly beneath the neckline that is similar but different. Mine appears to have more vertical strokes. Where your's seems to have three downward strokes, mine are doubled (2 ea.) for a total of six...but they are spaced similar to yours. Where exactly is Agawam??

Nice find, by the way.

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could very well be an 1800's Hawaiian metal button.....It is a button because of the shank on the back.

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Symbols appear to be similar...particularly, the one situated at approx. two or three o'clock and looks something like a 'shock of grain'. There is another directly beneath the neckline that is similar but different. Mine appears to have more vertical strokes. Where your's seems to have three downward strokes, mine are doubled (2 ea.) for a total of six...but they are spaced similar to yours. Where exactly is Agawam??

Nice find, by the way.
Massachusetts.

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
359001928e98748fe2a00c55a71e3913.jpg ..Why I say Hawaiian, resembles yours with the forehead and hair.....

OP
OP
monkeys uncle

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Worldtalker;

Image of the back of mine is attached to my first post (above). "Click" on it for a larger view. Thanks again, for your interest. I'd love to know this button's origin or mfg.

Regards,
jdt

OP
OP
monkeys uncle

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Worldtalker;

Image of the back of mine is attached to my first post (above). "Click" on it for a larger view. Thanks again, for your interest. I'd love to know this button's origin or mfg.

Regards,
jdt

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
If you compare the writing / symbols, they are basically the same. They both have CM to the left of the neck and they both have two almost vertical lines to the right of the ear on the right side of the object. Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Worldtalker;

Regards,
jdt

Sorry,I didn't click on it before,I'd say their older than both of us combined.:laughing7:

Post it on 'What is it',there are some VERY knowledgable folks on this site,I never did with mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread