✅ SOLVED NEED HELP With Language on SILVER MEDAL...NON DUG!

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this medal some time ago and just recently re-found it anong my stuff.I would like to know the language or what the medal was for...The top&middle bar has griffins and appears to be celtic knots.The medal although NOT marked appears to be silver but could NOT be but it look's well made and was awarded to somebody(top bar)..So ANY HELP will be greatly appreciated!!! HAPPY HUNTING ALL!!!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSCI9171.JPG
    DSCI9171.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCI9198.JPG
    DSCI9198.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCI9187.JPG
    DSCI9187.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCI9175.JPG
    DSCI9175.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCI9188.JPG
    DSCI9188.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCI9186.JPG
    DSCI9186.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 87

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look Scandinavian. Rjukan is a town in Norway

Upvote 0

Nathanonline

Oct 31, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the writing on the front is Norwegian. The bottom line roughly translates (I don't speak norwegian) to "Box and Breaking Group"...I'm thinking the word on the back of the medal may be of danish origin (a last name perhaps)? It may mean "Circ Master" but that doesn't really tell me much. Since it has the town of Rjukan on it, the norwegian stuff adds up to me. Boxing medal perhaps?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the writing on the front is Norwegian. The bottom line roughly translates (I don't speak norwegian) to "Box and Breaking Group"...I'm thinking the word on the back of the medal may be of danish origin (a last name perhaps)? It may mean "Circ Master" but that doesn't really tell me much. Since it has the town of Rjukan on it, the norwegian stuff adds up to me. Boxing medal perhaps?
tHANK yOU FOR YOUR INPUT! happy hunting:thumbsup:!!!

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other thing. Look for any marks that may identify the designer of the medal. The circular garland has what may be the style and design of the Danish silversmith Georg (no'e) Jensen or some other well known Scandinavian designer of silver work . That would add value maybe to it imo. I also believe it's pure silver.

Upvote 0

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys, i am from Denmark and the medal says. Boxing and wrestling champion in rjukan county.:occasion14: and it is not George Jensen, i can tell he comes from Denmark.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, i am from Denmark and the medal says. Boxing and wrestling champion in rjukan county.:occasion14: and it is not George Jensen, i can tell he comes from Denmark.
Thank you so so much!!! This obviously solve's this one,Thank's to you:notworthy:jan!!! Any idea of age? I'm thinking late 19th.C early 20th.Again thank you...HAPPY HUNTING ALL:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are welcome tokenhead, i would say that your estimate on the time period is right.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread