need help with metal detector

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Not sure about the detector you have but a jewelry selection is nothing more than a preloaded discrimination pattern. It will probably find you a lot more of everything including trash because the discrimination has been opened up beyond your standard coin pattern.
Pull tabs and aluminum foil will give you the same response as a gold ring with many detectors.

Go to this section of the forum for questions about your model: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,210.0.html

Good Luck!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use one of them DFX's and in jewelry mode it hits a lot that ain't. However, sometimes you need to dig every hit. With my Coinmaster, I've had it so long I can tell pretty much by the tone what it's hitting, but I haven't had the DFX that long. Do this, too: when you dig that foil and those pull tabs, take em out of there, and your life will get easier later on.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
detectors sort items by the metals "electrical conductivity" level --- sadly gold has a similar electrical conductivity level to that of aluminum * pulltabs --- so they "read" the same or very very close --watch those vdi numbers closely and learn to listen for the slightly differant tonal sounds on tone type machines . (the tracker IV you got is a tone or sound type IDing machine)

I can teach you "the magic " or how to find the sweet spot with a tracker IV -- to find the gold with much less pulltabs * but you'll owe me a big time ;D

ok here goes -- you will need a pull tab and a gold item (or a nickle)=== there is a 3 way swirch on the tracker IV -- the first setting - is all metal --one tone only (it ill get the best depth but finds all metals and it makes only 1 tone or sound) -- the second setting is tone -- similar to all metal but it has 3 differant sounds or "tones" --a iron "fart" sound -- a gold / aluminum sound-- and a copper /silver tone -- this is like hunting in all metal but with some ideal of what basic type of metal is found -- #1 sound iron (for relic hunters) #2 sound (gold for jewelry or gold nugget type hunting) #3 sound for coins copper and silver coins --the last setting is discrimation --this setting can sort things out and selectively leave stuff out * -- the discrimation setting works with the discramation knob --the higher you turn it the narrower your find range becomes -- metals drop out in the following order =--- iron -- aluminum --gold -- zinc -- copper --silver --- so here how its done.

place a gold item and a pulltab on a bit of metal free ground about 3 foot apart (check that the ground is free of any stray metal first)--- switch the machine into "discrimate" mode -- with the knob set all the way to the left -- swing the coil over the two items both should "beep" -- now using only the pull tab --slowly up the discrimatation level while waving it over the pulltab until it no longer rings up -- -- now run it over the gold item / nickle --if it rings up --its properly adjusted for gold hunting --if the gold item does ring not up slowly drop the discrimation level until it does ring up -- this should get you the gold while helping to cut down on the trash digging somewhat. -- also you need to listen closely -- the tone on gold should be crisp and clear --the sound on pulltabs sounds "scratchy or broken" -- thus not nearly as clear and crisp as the gold sound -- so now you know.

ps the "meter" on the tracker IV is a useless bit of junk pay it no mind.

glok30

Mar 30, 2008
Texas
thanks for for the info. for all us newbies this is a easy to understand way to set things up in what seems to be hard to figure out. thanks for the info im sure you helped alot of us out. thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread