Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DFX is not an EFFECTIVE raw gold machine. Unlike the MXT it just doesnt have the power in the box for any real depth. Can you find nuggets? Yes you can, but they will have to be larger. Also you have to have a test piece that you can use or you just wont know what your looking for VDI wise. Gold hunting is difficult with the DFX in AZ, you will have to lock out the GB once set or it will drift. There are a lot of hot rocks and you get wrap around. Couple of ways to deal with that is disc 94 and 95 VDI's, but when you do that you reduce the depth that AM will produce. You really have to work an area slowly. Use 15 kHz. Your best bet is to get a used Gold Bug it would increase your changes a 1000 fold.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
the DFX can find gold, but it has it's limitations. It'll find gold down to about the size of a piece of rice. It should ring up with a VDI on the lower end. the MXT and the gold bug are designed around gold hunting with a higher frequency to aid in finding gold

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DFX may pick up a piece of gold the size of rice, but trust me the reading you get on the test piece you would NEVER dig in the field. Its just a faint bounce. I used the DFX in AZ with people using gold machines and did get to test it on some of their finds. I could get a reading, but i would have likely walked over it in the field. The MXT is a 14 kHz, DFX 15 kHz and the Gold bug is around 75 kHz. The MXT has the BEST GB system that whites makes and was designed from the GMT. However, the MXT loves HOT ROCKS.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can pick up a used gold bug fairly cheap... but dont give up the DFX it certainly is a great machine with its place. If you gold hunt with the DFX hunt in an area you know there is gold and if you can with someone having some luck.... otherwise you may find yourself TAKING YOUR DETECTOR FOR A WALK.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread