Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure you are ground balancing properly and lower the sensitivity a couple notches if it's a trashy area and your getting a lot of falsing. Use pro mode also to hear the iron signals as there may be a piece of old rusted iron in the hole with a nice big halo that your picking up. It will break up and disappear when you dig.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Dont use STD Mode
2. Dont use STD Mode...lol

Really thou...If thats what you are using, it will drive you nuts...the PRO mode will be the best way to go. It took me awhile to understand the machine. So dont get discouraged

OP
OP
T

tt2tall75

Tenderfoot
Oct 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the help it's much appreciated off I go gassape point ri

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
tt2, sorry to hear your having trouble. Diggin is right standard mode will drive you crazy with how delayed it is on targets. Also, if you haven't already got one, get a pinpointer. An inexpensive one is 12 bucks at Harbor Freight, a cheap one is better than none at all. The Garrett Pro Pointer is a real good one but considerably more money. I have a Video out soon of the new Xpointer, and I have really loved it. Learn the Garrett heal to toe pinpoint method this how too video is on their web site and will help a lot. Stay Gold!!

ringking76

Jul 8, 2014
knoxville area
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP,Minelab CTX 3030 and Tesoro Golden Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might want to try the wiggle back method to pinpoint,it's my choice of PP and everyone's right Pro is the only way to go.

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pro mode will help. If the item is really loud, I usually pick up the coil a foot off the ground and see if it's still there and loud. If it is, keep walking. If it's not, I'll pinpoint it from one direction, visually mark where it is, then turn 90° and pinpoint it with the metal detector from that direction. At first I had a hard time keeping a visual mark on the spot, so I'd walk with a wood chip, rock or something and put that in the spot I first pin-pointed, then go 90° and check it again. After some experience, you'll readily be able to move away from that. With even more experience, you'll be able to get the bulk of the items without doing the two step pinpointing.

I like to cut a plug about the same diameter as the depth. So if it's 4" deep, I cut about a 4" diameter plug, though I don't go much bigger than 8" diameter. Also, I got into a habit of making sure the tip of the digger isn't going to slice through the depth I think the target is at. I've scratched some coins and it's not fun. If it's 4" deep for instance, I'll dig only a couple of inches, use the Garrett pinpointer to ID the exact spot, then dig around and deeper than the treasure, trying to get it in a clump of dirt.

Whatever you do, good luck.

OP
OP
T

tt2tall75

Tenderfoot
Oct 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all your help it is much appreciated I'm going out tomorrow morning we'll see what happens

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Im new to detecting not sure if im using it right i dig a hole with a good bell tone and sometimes there is something there and sometimes theres not why? I would appreciate any help or advice thank you.
I recommend you check some of these videos by Garrett. What you will have learned by the time you've watched the videos will be night and day compared to what you know now...
Check them out...

Try some of the Garrett videos.
This is video 2/4. Try watching all 4 of them

Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector Information and Settings

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread