Need help with my GTI 2500

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at an old park circa 1860 today. I was in areas where every sweep was giving me 4,5 5+ on my id screen. I could not get a good read. I tried lowering sensitivity to 5-6, I tried using surface elimination up to 3 inches and I used coin and jewelry modes. I was still having problems. I also noticed I didn't get a hit on anything below 5 inches. If I did get a hhit below 5 it was almost alway a large item at 12". Any suggestions?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
several things come to mind that may or may not have caused the trouble. could it have been a loose or wobbling coil wire? sometimes if the coil wire is moving around too much near the coil it can cause the machine to false a lot. i would also check to make sure your connection to the control housing is OK. a bad jack or a wire with a short in it can cause you some headaches as well. it could have been heavily mineralized soil too. if it was, i would manually ground balance the machine instead of using the auto balance or fast track. could it have been over head electrical wires or another source or interference? if that were the cause perhaps choosing another operating frequency would help. as far as the imaging looking like a large target deeper than 5 inches, i have found that the imaging feature on my 2500 is only accurate to about that depth. anything deeper than that i usually have to dig and find out, because i just cant trust the size feature to be accurate at deeper depths. of course, it could have just been a trash can lid or something too! :D i hope some of this helps you out a little. :) .....................oh, one other thing. the surface elimination feature on my 2500 appears to be useless. it still picks up junk on the surface whether it is on or off. i just stopped using it after a while. i don't know if yours behaves the same as mine, but throw a few junk items on the ground and see if it works for you. i wasn't impressed with mine. hopefully it will work for you. ;)

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats for your reply. Overhead wires is a no. The wire being loose maybe. I will check connections tomorrow. I do have a sunray probe hooked to it. i think is was just a very trashy site. other areas were working ok. As for sensitivity I hear most keep it at 7 anyway. I was hoping to get alittle deeper then 6". You say that anything past 6" usually reads 12" and D size? I think I read that somewhere. that seemed to be the norm with mine. i have not yet got a reading other then that over 6 ". I will dig some of those targets tomorrow and see what they are. I have noticed that If I miss the target and rescan the size will change sometimes. Have you experience multiple sweeps giving different readings in the gold area? I assume that that means junk. I have not had the pleasure of getting a solid signal in the gold area that was constant to see if it comes up a ring.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
lawman0210 said:
Thats for your reply. Overhead wires is a no. The wire being loose maybe. I will check connections tomorrow. I do have a sunray probe hooked to it. i think is was just a very trashy site. other areas were working ok. As for sensitivity I hear most keep it at 7 anyway. I was hoping to get alittle deeper then 6". You say that anything past 6" usually reads 12" and D size? I think I read that somewhere. that seemed to be the norm with mine. i have not yet got a reading other then that over 6 ". I will dig some of those targets tomorrow and see what they are. I have noticed that If I miss the target and rescan the size will change sometimes. Have you experience multiple sweeps giving different readings in the gold area? I assume that that means junk. I have not had the pleasure of getting a solid signal in the gold area that was constant to see if it comes up a ring.

yeah, i have had multiple sweeps give different readings. most times it was trash but every once in a blue moon its a coin on edge. i think the deepest coin i ever found with my 2500 was at about 8 inches.(with the standard coil) the size feature will bounce around even on shallow targets until your coil is centered over the target. i usually sweep until i get the smallest size. that usually means that the coil is centered correctly. (at least in my experience). i did find a couple of gold rings (10k) with the 2500. on both occasions they rang in as a mid tone, pulltab range target, but the tone was nice and solid. good luck with your 2500. it is a really nice machine.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
oh yeah, deep targets dont always ring in as a large size. it depends, i guess on soil conditions and other factors, but i have had deeper targets ring in as both large and small targets.

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
I was still having problems. I also noticed I didn't get a hit on anything below 5 inches. If I did get a hhit below 5 it was almost alway a large item at 12". Any suggestions?

I have 5 years using my GTI2500 and I used detect in Maryland. That MD it is amazing in performance. If you're not having the expected result maybe you need spend more time detecting to know very well how it works,how it responde to each hit. It is very normal get frustrated in the beginning.

Amona

Attachments

• DSCF0461.JPG
    DSCF0461.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 343
  • DSCF0461.JPG
    DSCF0461.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 336

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got mine yesterday, and took it out back for a bit. I do have to say it will take a little practice for me to get the hang of it. Probably many many hours. The truth is I know what this machine is capable of, now its up to me to bring myself up to that level. So don't get discouraged just plug in the hours and the rest will come.

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got your MD. I tell you the best thing you can get for it is the shoulder harness from Kelly-co. It cost 20.00 but after a day full of swinging my arm isnt tired at all

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread