Need help with my mxt, major problem!

Tn hunter

May 4, 2013
Dandridge, East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt, Super12 coil, dx1 inline target probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First I would like to say Hi to everyone as I am new to this forum. Ive been detecting with my Whites Mxt and super 12 coil for many years without any problems and lots of finds. Over the last few months relic hunting here in East Tennessee my detector has acquired a mind of its own. I start out balancing the coil, getting my settings where I like them and usualy after 20 minutes, give or take, the screen starts to go crazy running through most of the possible relic ID's with all of the corresponding tones. It doesnt matter if I turn it off, replace the battery, hold it straight up in the air, even checked the coil and wires. Sometimes it stops for a while and then starts again. I really need some help with this problem as I am at a loss. I called Whites and basiclly didnt get a straight answer at all. Please help, Scott:BangHead:

Upvote 0

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First check the coil wire by moving it around near the connector and the coil (most likely points of failure) when the detector acts up. If it comes back, you probably have a broken wire or bad connection.
Otherwise, you might have a bad solder connection on the circuit board with one of the components, or it could be one of the IC's failing.
Whites probably cannot diagnose it over the phone, that's why they are vague. You will have to decide if the costs are worth sending in to get it fixed if you can't find/fix the problem yourself.

Also, Geotech forum has a lot of techies that may have encountered the problem. You may wish to pose your question there to see if someone can help.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I had a White's that acted up on me after a few years. When I used the toggle switch, it was going to a position in between the 2 intended positions. I didn't think of checking that immediately. Just a wild guess. Best wishes, George (MN)

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First off let me say hello neighbor. I live in Morristown and relic hunt as well with an MXT PRO and TDI. Now to your question. Have you checked your coil as it may have a problem. I sold my 12" coil when I got my machine and got the 10x12 SEF coil which I love. I also have other coils but the SEF is my coil of choice. I also see that you have the inline probe. That could be your problem as well. Since we live so close perhaps we could meet up sometime and I can check your machine out. Send me a pm and we can talk some more.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talk to Mr. Fox on the Whites forum, he is a wizard of all things whites! His name is DeOleSlyFox.

OP
OP
T

Tn hunter

May 4, 2013
Dandridge, East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt, Super12 coil, dx1 inline target probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would like to thank everyone for some very helpful information. I will check where the wire goes into the coil, and the other ideas. I have tried to get on the Whites site and cant post. I never got a link sent to my email to start posting and its been over a week. I believe that this forum is worth my time and look forward to being an active member here ounce I get my Mxt fixed, I have alot of recent relic finds from camps, and one battle field to post. Thanks to all that replyed to my problem

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with checking the coil. Mine had a hairline crack in the coil and acted similar. GL

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stop in your local whites dealer and swap out a new coil and see if that fixes your problem. You'll have it figured out in no time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions