Need help with numbers

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are the number ranges on your machine when detecting gold. Air testing my deus. The gold krugarand numbers were were 91. The gold I panned in Alaska numbers are 45. I am using xp deus. My question is should different types of gold have that great of range with the numbers. If figuired the number would be much closer. In your experience (no matter what machine you use) very so greatly.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
.999 gold is PURE. Gold nuggets have more copper, silver, nickel, yadda-yadda-yadda. This is an over simplification, but you get the point.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply Terry. I am new to this hunting and very new to gold. I mistakenly thought that gold nuggets were pure and coins and jewelry had additives. Learn something new everyday. Thanks

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What are the number ranges on your machine when detecting gold. Air testing my deus. The gold krugarand numbers were were 91. The gold I panned in Alaska numbers are 45. I am using xp deus. My question is should different types of gold have that great of range with the numbers. If figuired the number would be much closer. In your experience (no matter what machine you use) very so greatly.

Hi there,

With lots of machines, operators have put together target ID charts or graphs to show where different metals ring in on a particular machine. Try to Google those parameters for your machine and see what you come up with. You might get lucky and not have to reinvent the wheel. It's worked for me before.

All the best,

Lanny

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I read your post, I had a flood of thoughts:

The modern gold coins are .999 pure gold (as long as they are real). Older gold coins like you might stumble across in historic placer mining areas may not be as pure, depending on the age and mint that produced them. If you machine rings high on a gold coin, no matter the purity, it would be a great day to dig one up. I am still waiting for my first one.

Jewelry is all over the map. 24Kt would be pure. 14K is about half, with the other half typically copper and nickel. Jewelers do this for colour (more copper - more red hue), strength (pure gold is soft and jewelry can damage or bend), culture (eg. in India and some Arab countries, they insist on 22Kt), economics (gold is more expensive than copper), etc. When detecting jewelry, the content, shape (including width) and depth all come into play. A heavy men's ring under about 6 inches, regardless of content will give a good bang on almost any detector but may not be a really high number. The numbers will lower if it is deeper, thinner (lady's ring) or a different shape (eg. a crushed ring). In fact, it can also be different if the ring is on its side or upright.

Each detector and sometimes coil will give different numbers on the same target. It may change with coil size, shape (round vs elliptical) or type (mono vs DD). It matters if you are over the coil's sweet spot or beside it. Then you can also get masking from other nearby objects or even mineralization.

Bottom line - the numbers you get are a hint. It reminds me of The Curse of the Black Pearl movie quote: "... And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules."

If you want to pay attention to the numbers, perhaps ignore iron (low) and dig everything else. The detector tells you something is there and tries to guess what it might be. It is not infallible.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the above folks have offered is very good information. One other tid-bit is that a pile of gold dust will not act like a single piece of gold of the same weight, the electronic signal does not see the particles exactly as one might think it will.

Another thing is that a year or so ago some gold "potatoes" were found using a 'good detector'. When the person swinging the machine came across them he thought he had found trash in a trash free area. He only dug them up to get rid of whatever the junk was. Turns out there were two gold nuggets so large that the signal they gave off sounded like trash or, sometimes it is worth digging every target. Life is full of Choices. Best of luck...............63bkpkr

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the above folks have offered is very good information. One other tid-bit is that a pile of gold dust will not act like a single piece of gold of the same weight, the electronic signal does not see the particles exactly as one might think it will.

Another thing is that a year or so ago some gold "potatoes" were found using a 'good detector'. When the person swinging the machine came across them he thought he had found trash in a trash free area. He only dug them up to get rid of whatever the junk was. Turns out there were two gold nuggets so large that the signal they gave off sounded like trash or, sometimes it is worth digging every target. Life is full of Choices. Best of luck...............63bkpkr

Sorry , but I have too dig everything it's in my DNA . I find cool stuff at least 40% of the time . The rest I haul out , I have also found that with research some of the things , I thought were trash ,indeed were not maybe another 3% .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread