Need help with old hotel

capt. sparrow

Jan 23, 2007
North Shore Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
I have recently discovered an old hotel. It was built in the 1800's and burned down in the 1940's. I can't seem to find any pictures of it anywhere. Not at the historical association of the town or at online postcard databases. My question is where should I detect? The footprint of the foundation is still visible and it sits right on a lake. There is a lot of granite and brick strewn about, but I can't tell what was where. Please give me some pointers.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Can you PM me the name of the hotel...maybe, just maybe, there might be something in the paper about it...it doesn't hurt to look ;)

And don't worry...Girl Scout Honour, I WILL NOT tell anyone...!!!!!! I can email you any results I find.
Annmarie

OP
OP
capt. sparrow

capt. sparrow

Jan 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
Thanks for the suggestion. There is a beach next to the site but it's been public for quite a while so there is a lot of junk. I did find an old iron sign frame hanging from a tree. Might have been the front entry. It is just such a huge area and I don't know where to start.

anteater

Dec 2, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Beach Magnet, Compass Magnum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes depressions in the ground can indicate old, rotted tree stumps which could indicate picnic areas. Of course, hardwood trees like oak etc are usually the oldest trees; there might even be stumps remaining. Old stepping stones can be a good clue. Closer to the water you might look for bathhouse foundations. Good luck!

K

Kentucky Kache

If it burned in the 1940's there should be some old timers around who could tell you about the place.

S

stefen

Check the newspapers...may have before, during and after pictures...

Title report will also show current and prior owners...

OP
OP
capt. sparrow

capt. sparrow

Jan 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
I have check newspapers online and the only thing I found out was that the couple who owned it in the 20's had some issues. The wife had an affair with a waiter and got 9 months imprisonment for the affair, so did the waiter. The husband ended up dying in a car accident a few months later. Stories like that are unfortunately a dime a dozen today, but I'm sure it was quite the scandal back then.

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
capt. sparrow said:
I have check newspapers online and the only thing I found out was that the couple who owned it in the 20's had some issues. The wife had an affair with a waiter and got 9 months imprisonment for the affair, so did the waiter. The husband ended up dying in a car accident a few months later. Stories like that are unfortunately a dime a dozen today, but I'm sure it was quite the scandal back then.
I'm 47, married and ain't never, ever heard of a man having an affair with a mriied woman getting jailed! let alone the woman going to the hoozekow to boot!! Can you paste the arrticle up here? It would be very, very interesting to read to me.......stvn.

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's where you need to go.

Capt Sparrow,

Everyone here is talking about checking on line and newspapers. I'd say your best bet is to go to the library in that town. Ask to be admitted to the "Town History Room". This is a room set aside in the library that has everything pertaining to that towns history. If they don't have a separate room set aside for this (which is unlikely) ask where the town history information is kept.

Generally the door to this room is kept closed as it's not known to the public, but the public can use it. You tell them that you're doing research on a particular hotel and chances are they can tell you where you need to look in that room. You may even find more information about other sites as well. You'll find year books from the towns junior and senior high schools, old maps, town meeting books and film strips, old newspapers (probably on microfilm), and other town events.

It's amazing the facts and things that are in these 'town rooms'. They are the best kept town secrets jewels. :icon_sunny: It's best to go early as once you get started and see what's in these rooms, time will fly like you've never seen it fly before. :clock: Good Luck!

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use Google Earth or World Wind to get an "eagle's eye view" of the site. You might be able to see the footprints of cisterns, outhouses, tennis courts, the exact paths to the beach, etc. from the earlier days in its history.

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are looking for large targets(cache) and there is not large metal debry where the building used to be...then that is the place to start with a two box unit. This will cancell out nails and small metal objects. A loop will probably go crazy . Then I would see if there where signs of other smaller structures around the hotel and hit those too.

Also sit near the hotel and ask yourself "where would I bury my money around here??" and hit that area too. The beauty of the two box in this case is that it covers a lot of terrain fast. Mark your possible targets and go back with a loop detector to give shape and size to the targets using signal intensity in all metal mode ( how long the signal stays at max value while moving loop over target=size of object) How long a target sounds does not mean anything for size.

But everyone is correct, research is #1

Emileel

Jan 4, 2009
I realize that this is an old thread, but had to get in on it. You mentioned a beach on the property. Do yourself a favor and get an underwater detector. Check out the area off the beach, your biggest finds may well be there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread