need help with older garrett GTA500 MD(battery holder)

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i have a problem i need some suggestions with. i have an older garrett GTA500 (i think it is real similar to the 550 on the market now). i have had this detector for over 10 yrs and it has been great. yesterday when i was removing the batteries to recharge them both of the plastic battery holders broke on the end. these parts hold the AA batteries in place and the machine will not power up. i plan to call a dealer Monday and try and locate these parts, my problem is that i am leaving for vacation next weekend and i may not be able to get the parts by then. i was wondering if anyone knew any com prompile parts that would work? or anything that i might could rig if i had to?

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wuz gonna say use duct tape but will the covers go in at all or are they useless?

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
the covers are broke on the ends. i thought maybe super glue but i don't know if it will hold. this detector is over 10 years old and garret does not make it anymore. it has been a good one though. this is the first problem that i have had with it. i was hoping that someone might have this model and know of a product that had a battery holder that would work and i would just go and get the item and swap out the battery holder. if anyone has the gtx 550 model i believe this model replaced the 500 and it is very similar looking and uses the same battery system

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvercop said:
the covers are broke on the ends. i thought maybe super glue but i don't know if it will hold. this detector is over 10 years old and garret does not make it anymore. it has been a good one though. this is the first problem that i have had with it. i was hoping that someone might have this model and know of a product that had a battery holder that would work and i would just go and get the item and swap out the battery holder. if anyone has the gtx 550 model i believe this model replaced the 500 and it is very similar looking and uses the same battery system
:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
here is a pic of the part i need and where it is broken.

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 825
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 627
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 672

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahh ok yes it looks the same as the 550.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am almost positive that Radio Shack carries the same battery holder. Look Radio Shack up on line, if not, Garrett probably still has them.

Thanks!

Bob

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Yup.

Think I've seen them at RS, myself.

However... Using brand new batteries, tape it very tightly with electrical tape with everything in the proper position. It's worked for me before...

...until I got tired of taking the tape off when I needed to change batteries! ;D

Good luck on your vacation!
rmptr

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would call or email garrett and you should be able to get a set for free.

Seajay

Jul 6, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Garrett's CX w/Bloodhound, GTA 500, Whites PI
Ditto to what Dave wrote above! The customer service with the Garrett folks was great and Melinda sent me a replacement battery holder free of charge! Will be visiting the factory and museum with them on Monday.

Seajay

Mars

Greenie
Oct 12, 2006
You can try to buy new battery holders or try my method, since I've been through this already myself. Purchase Devcon Plastic Weld epoxy (at Lowe's or WalMart). Make sure it's for plastics. Follow the mixing dirextions and apply as needed and allow to fully cure. Build up the broken area again with a second layer. Finally you can use quality electrical tape trimmed as needed to further hold on the ends, aiding the plastic weld. I've used the Devcon stuff even on a plastic end cap to an exercise treadmill where the roller spins and it's held for tens of thousands of rpms. My battery clips are still holding up well and it's been a year now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions