Need help with painting

iceman0xh

Dec 22, 2009
Found this interesting painting at a thrift store....seems to be some sort of middle eastern depiction of warriors on horses.

Back has a sticker stating....
"Lackmalere #2250
Polo Excursion
88233-4
Chester Wonderlin"

Any info on the possible origin, country, or age would be lovely.
indianpainting.jpg

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
Appears to be Indo-Persian (India-to-Iran).

Not my area, but could have some real age to it.

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I'm pretty sure Chester Wonderlin is not the artist. Chester Wonderlin has a gallery in Bloomington, Illinois. I would attempt to contact the gallery- I bet you can get a lot of info from them... unless it's.... um..... unexpectedly missing! (See, I didn't say stolen.) :icon_thumright:

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if you have any more info on this painting?

I think the sticker on the back might be refering to Marco Polo.

From Wikipedia:

(c. 1254 – January 8, 1324) was a merchant from the Venetian Republic who wrote Il Milione, which introduced Europeans to Central Asia and China. He learned about trading whilst his father and uncle, Niccolò and Maffeo, travelled through Asia and met Kublai Khan. In 1269, they returned to Venice to meet Marco for the first time. The three of them embarked on an epic journey to Asia, returning after 24 years to find Venice at war with Genoa; Marco was imprisoned, and dictated his stories to a cellmate. He was released in 1299, became a wealthy merchant, married and had 3 children. He died in 1324, and was buried in San Lorenzo.

Eagle

mbbingb

Jul 3, 2007
Polo excursion is in reference to the subject of the picture, polo started in Persia 2500 years ago, pic is probably player with his aides carrying extra mallets. Read that up to 100 players in a game so it looked like a battle.

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd guess it as coming from India or Persia also. Your pic is really bad can't see much. It might not be a original- but a reproduction. The subject matter alone dates it to not later than english Colonial India.....What does the back look like? You might post a picture of that, and a better one of the painted surface. Also if there's a dealer's stamp you can trace the provence, or at least the alleged provence, of the piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions