26.3 KB · Views: 1,669
OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Please trust me when I say I am not trying to make something out of nothing here. And yet in the same vain I am really, really liking the young Theodore Roosevelt resemblence. For those of us who are into this, let's pound the turf and see what else we can find on Teddy.

And just for the record, it was Goldwind who first brought Teddy to light. If someone can find an exact matching photograph to mine (black & white okay), and it is in fact Teddy Roosevelt, then I will share an additional 10% of the proceeds to that individual. My intention here is, and always has been, to find a matching photo and then try and sell the one I have. But first we have to "prove" who it is ... if anyone.

SBB

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
When I first saw the pic, it screamed " PINKERTON"!!!!!........NGE

OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
notgettinenny ~

Member ivan salis also suggested "Pinkerton." I haven't even looked into that possibility yet, but intend to. If you or anyone else can provide us with an accompanying photograph, please do so.

Thanks.

SBB

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Please trust me when I say I am not trying to make something out of nothing here. And yet in the same vain I am really, really liking the young Theodore Roosevelt resemblence. For those of us who are into this, let's pound the turf and see what else we can find on Teddy.

And just for the record, it was Goldwind who first brought Teddy to light. If someone can find an exact matching photograph to mine (black & white okay), and it is in fact Teddy Roosevelt, then I will share an additional 10% of the proceeds to that individual. My intention here is, and always has been, to find a matching photo and then try and sell the one I have. But first we have to "prove" who it is ... if anyone.

SBB

PJ4IF00Z.jpg

this one is also pretty darn close
220px-Tr_nyc_police_commissioner.jpg

the one that GoldWind posted looks almost exact too

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
sodabottlebob, do you happen to know where these files originated from? i know my distant relatives were Laines, and we actually have some tintypes and 2 huge oil paintings of them. wouldnt that be a coincindence :icon_pirat:

my brother and uncle worked on our family tree for months on ancestry.com, but it was costing too much so they stopped paying. maybe ill sign up for a free trial tomorrow and look at the pictures

OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
DD ~

Here's another look at the penciled label. It is just about the only thing I know about the photo. However, and I should have mentioned this earlier, there is another lightly penciled word in the upper left corner which says ...

Mal no6

(I will post a picture of the Mal no6 tomorrow)

In the meantime, take look close at the label below. I think the first part reads ...

ness / Laine

The paper is torn away on the left. But maybe it said something like ...

Arness / Laine

Please let us know if you find a connection of some kind, or anything else.

Thanks.

SBB

Attachments

• Old Photo - Unidentified - Close Up of penciling 007 (700x158).jpg
    Old Photo - Unidentified - Close Up of penciling 007 (700x158).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,621
  • Old Photo - Unidentified - Close Up of penciling 007 (700x158).jpg
    Old Photo - Unidentified - Close Up of penciling 007 (700x158).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,623

Goldwind

May 19, 2011
Gordon, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
SBB..thanks for the mention..but don't count the chickens yet...Teddy had BLUE eyes...BTW..Your avatar used to sit on my aunt's mantle in the 60's. Still had coke in it. Sorry..don't know what became of it. Sure was a big bottle...gene
DD..1% of nothing is nothing...LOL

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Goldwind said:
SBB..thanks for the mention..but don't count the chickens yet...Teddy had BLUE eyes...BTW..Your avatar used to sit on my aunt's mantle in the 60's. Still had coke in it. Sorry..don't know what became of it. Sure was a big bottle...gene
DD..1% of nothing is nothing...LOL

sure, but 1% of $1 billion is $10 million :D

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Bob, Can you get a closer pic(s) of the script? Thanks, Breezie

OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
The following observations may help ...

1. The eyes are greenish blue (hand colored).

2. I'm wondering if the so called slash next to the so called L in Laine isn't actually
part of an H , which would make it ... Haine ?

1st picture below : Upper left corner of photo ... (penciled) Mal no6

2nd picture : Lower right side just above the shoulder (vertically stamped word) ...

R or K followed by ?

3rd picture: Penciled word on back side of cardboard. Appears to be ... Ksoenott

My apologies for not disclosing some of this earlier. But just this morning I discovered pictures two and three by way of a magnifying glass. Upon closer inspection I can say now with certainty that this is everything to be found, and not easy to photograph! :help:

Thanks again to all for your help. Hopefully we will solve this mystery. Of course, it could turn out to be a nobody from nowhere.

SBB

Attachments

• Old Photo Close Up - Mal no6 (601x423).jpg
    Old Photo Close Up - Mal no6 (601x423).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,540
  • Old Photo Close Up Stamped Word On Lower Right Side (700x274) (2).jpg
    Old Photo Close Up Stamped Word On Lower Right Side (700x274) (2).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,529
  • Old Photo Close Up Penciling on Back (700x274).jpg
    Old Photo Close Up Penciling on Back (700x274).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,545

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something to think about while solving:

#1 The coat he is wearing is called a Victorian 'sack' coat. It was worn by men from 1880 to 1910.
#2 The man is probably 25 years old; give or take.
#3 What is the history of the purchase 'place' of this photo? Is it California? Can you find out?
#4 Find out where Roosevelt, Bat M., Sundance, etc. were living during 1880 to 1910.
#5 How old were these men during 1880 to 1910? Do they fit the time era?
#6 Are you SURE this is a 'tinted' photograph? It looks like a painted portrait from the pics. Is it on canvas or on thick cardboard? There is a slight difference in the time line between tinted photos and painted ones, as well as a difference between 'tinted' and 'painted.'
#7 The word Roosevelt is obvious to me.

I've got out of town company coming so I don't have time to research, but thought I'd throw out these questions. Breezie

OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Breezie ~

Here's the close ups you asked for. They are left and right. The missing chunk in the center measures appx. one inch across. Plus, another observation I noticed is the reddish mustache contrasting the darker brown hair. :dontknow:

Edit/Add ... I am seperating them into two different post so the slide bar works better.

Plus ... Thanks for the tips. Very helpful and worth researching.

SBB

Left half ...

Attachments

• Old Photo Close up of Inscription left half.jpg
    Old Photo Close up of Inscription left half.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,507

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always look very closely at the ears, as ear structure doesn't change that much in a lifetime. Who knows, and what led you to believe it might be someone 'famous'? Good for you, High Plains Digger, but you didn't put flowers on Doc's grave. They have a marker but nobody's sure exactly where he's buried.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always look at the ear structure, cause ears don't change much over a lifetime. What led you to believe it might be someone 'famous'? Good for you, High Plains Digger, but you didn't put flowers on Doc's grave. They have a marker, but the exact location of his gravesite in the cemetary is unknown.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread