Need help with possible mineral ID

jr.nation88

Jan 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Student brought this one in, said is grandfather used to mine for it back in the day but was not for sure where. We are currently located in SE Missouri (Bollinger County) but not sure this is the area it was mind. It is very heavy and has a very clear luster to it. Have not had much time to 'play' with it but the hardness is over 5 i know. My first thought was Fluorite but I have never personally seen a specimen like this...almost wanna say glass :) Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 100_8011.jpg
    100_8011.jpg
    723 KB · Views: 165
  • 100_8012.jpg
    100_8012.jpg
    679.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 100_8013.jpg
    100_8013.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 174

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I'll take a mew at it, lol!
The only stone I know of that is that color is apatite (did I spell that right?).
But, I don't know what it looks like uncut, or if it would come that big.
Fluorite, glass, or apatite? Not real sure, just a guess. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Student brought this one in, said is grandfather used to mine for it back in the day but was not for sure where. We are currently located in SE Missouri (Bollinger County) but not sure this is the area it was mind. It is very heavy and has a very clear luster to it. Have not had much time to 'play' with it but the hardness is over 5 i know. My first thought was Fluorite but I have never personally seen a specimen like this...almost wanna say glass :) Any thoughts?

Your thoughts are right. This is glass. I see many people trying to sell colored glass as a natural mineral. This isn't fluorite. Don't burst your students bubble. The cleavage, color and size, this is man made glass

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a piece of this too. I got mine in Jefferson Co. MO & yup it's glass. I just like the color. It's pretty in the flower bed. My Grandfather worked at PPG & I suppose he picked it up there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jr.nation88

Jan 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
the students brother brought it again this year (new school year, new class). We read the responses together but he pulled out a few pics of blue beryl. I still have my doubts but some of his pics looked very close. Any thoughts on beryl or are we sticking with glass?

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
the easiest way to tell if it is glass is to look for bubbles in the material.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions