Need help with Spencer Cartridge ID. Also had a good adventure in CA

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in a park in San Diego (of all places!).
I think this is a really rare find for California.
Can someone give me some info. I am trying to figure out if it is a 56-56 or a 56-52, the age of the cartridge,
and what type of gun might have fired it (I think it said WInchester), but what type?

First I was hunting and found the 44 Merc. , then I found a really big old oak tree toppled ove. I ran the detector over the dirt at the root zone and popped out this cartridge. I had never seen such a large cartridge, so I figured it was old. Looked it up as best as I can and think it's from around 1893? The $20 (1982) Mex Coin was next as I headed down into a canyon. When I got to the bottom, I was hacking away at some dirt where a target was when all of a sudden, I felt monster pain on my body. I saw a yellow streak and knew I was in big trouble.
I don't think I have ever run up a hill so fast. When I got to my car I was still fighting off yellow jackets. I got into my car and one flew out of my shirt or pants. Had to get out of the car and shoo him off.
I ended up losing my Lesche somewhere near where I got stung (I wasn't going after it) and ended up with 11 yellow jacket stings which still hurt as I write. I had 3 on my arms 4-5 on my torso, one on my butt and a few in my lower front belt line. Those creatures are pure evil!!

Attachments

• DSCN4332b.jpg
    DSCN4332b.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN4333b.jpg
    DSCN4333b.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN4334b.jpg
    DSCN4334b.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN4336b.jpg
    DSCN4336b.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN4337b.jpg
    DSCN4337b.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN4338b.jpg
    DSCN4338b.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN4339b.jpg
    DSCN4339b.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN4340b.jpg
    DSCN4340b.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 0
OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where's CC Hunter? Nobody knows about this?
I figured I'd have an answer pretty quick, but I guess nobody knows about these cartridges?

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
What you have is a Henry cartridge. The Henry rifle was used during the civil war and several years after. It is probably a .44 caliber. Do a Google search on Henry cartridges. Good finds BTW. Tennessee digger

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ-20, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have is a Henry cartridge. The Henry rifle was used during the civil war and several years after. It is probably a .44 caliber. Do a Google search on Henry cartridges. Good finds BTW. Tennessee digger

What he said. The H is pretty much of a give-away. The odds of it being other than a .44 Henry are slim. You can find a decent article on them at THE CARTRIDGE COLLECTOR.

NOT a good trade for the wasp attack. I've been swarmed once and that was more than enough. Hope you heal soon.

Chuck

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,what they said,and actually were quite popular in Cali

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Still trying to figure out how to get my Lesche back: but I might just have to abandon that thought.

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Some kind of old rimfire pistol cartridge. Hard to tell the caliber.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to give you a hard time about not inviting me along on your hunt, but, now I'm glad you didn't! I've had a few run-ins with yellowjackets too and would rather not have another. I'd rather hunt the beach this time of year but it's a lot harder to find the old coins there.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Umm... pardon me, please... but it is definitely not a .44 Henry casing. Coinshooter's photo with the millimeter ruler showing the casing's base says it is 16mm wide, which translates to .56-inch wide. The casing's mouth is a couple of millimeters narrower, therefore approximately .54-inch in diameter. That's not a .44 Henry casing.

Matching the casing's mouth-diameter and the raised-H headstamp, Coinhunter's guess is correct, it is a postwar Spencer casing. According to the info at the following website, Coinhunter's casing was produced sometime between 1874 and 1880, for the .56-52 Spencer rifle. Scroll down the webpage to see the raised-H mark and info: International Ammunition Association {iaaforum.org} - View topic - Spencer Headstamps

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ-20, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Umm... pardon me, please... but it is definitely not a .44 Henry casing. Coinshooter's photo with the millimeter ruler showing the casing's base says it is 16mm wide, which translates to .56-inch wide. The casing's mouth is a couple of millimeters narrower, therefore approximately .54-inch in diameter. That's not a .44 Henry casing.

Matching the casing's mouth-diameter and the raised-H headstamp, Coinhunter's guess is correct, it is a postwar Spencer casing. According to the info at the following website, Coinhunter's casing was produced sometime between 1874 and 1880, for the .56-52 Spencer rifle. Scroll down the webpage to see the raised-H mark and info: International Ammunition Association {iaaforum.org} - View topic - Spencer Headstamps

Nicely done, and well-supported opinion.

Chuck

pistol-pete

Nov 4, 2012
Custer County, CO. at 9300 Ft.
Detector(s) used
1970 Garrett Hunter, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a Spencer rifle cartridge case probably 56-52, been fired in a Spencer, very destinctive firing pin mark, common perion of use 1866-1890's

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread