Need Help With This Dog Tag

Beepin Husker

Feb 20, 2014
Husker Country
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett AT Pro, 2 Garrett Pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was back at my schoolyard this evening and found this dog tag. Is it a real military issued tag? How would I go about finding the person or family this belongs to? I would be honored to return this to the rightful owner!

Thanks for any help!

Dig on!

Attachments

• image-838253237.jpg
    image-838253237.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 1

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
He was Regular Army and enlisted after Oct. 1945. He may have served in Korea since his tetanus shot was administered in 1951.
Since you are in Nebraska, this soldier probably was from Nebraska also since the first two numbers of his tag are 17--which correspond to several states including Nebraska.
What is the spelling of his last name? It (partially) appears to these eyes as Dahlhei......
Don.......

OP
OP
Beepin Husker

Beepin Husker

Feb 20, 2014
Husker Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He may be William J. Dahlheim (deceased). This WJD was born in '34 and would have been 17 when he got his shot in 1951; probably during enlistment. William Dahlheim Death Records
Don.....

Thanks for the info and your help Don. You are correct on the spelling of the last name. I see the home town in your link and it is about 20 mins away from where I found this tag, so I'm pretty sure that would be the owner of this tag I would, at least, like to return this to a family member. Looks like I was a year too late in finding this to return it to him and thank him for his service.:icon_salut:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You may wish to check with the local VFW or Am. Legion Post for possibly more information on this soldier; he may have been a member of either or both groups. And here's a thought: With Memorial Day coming up, you may wish to invite personnel from the local VFW or Am Legion to accompany you in the presentation.
Don....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Don, over and over again I have seen that your research talents and knowledge are incredible. I salute you sir!!!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may wish to check with the local VFW or Am. Legion Post for possibly more information on this soldier; he may have been a member of either or both groups. And here's a thought: With Memorial Day coming up, you may wish to invite personnel from the local VFW or Am Legion to accompany you in the presentation.
Don....
Me too Don, your the best.

Beeping Husker, nice find , good work on recovery!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks for the kind words, 'Deepseeker' and 'treblehunter'. To me, the real treasure hunt now begins for 'Beepin Husker'; seeking the GI who owns this tag (sadly, now deceased) or one of his kin--then vicariously experiencing their elation upon its return. "Beepin Husker", I believe the other Dahlheim in that link was 'your' Dahlheim's dad, who died in North Bend in 1968. So I'll take the giant leap and assume that was the same town 'your' Dahlheim came from.
Don....

OP
OP
Beepin Husker

Beepin Husker

Feb 20, 2014
Husker Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quick update on the returning of yhe dog tag....I got ahold of the American Legion post here in town and the guy who answered the phone, possibly knows the GI's son. I am currently waiting on a return call and we'll see where this goes!

I will keep you updated! Stay tuned!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Beepin Husker,
One word of caution: Some kin don't want the tag back; it may be too emotional to handle or it's associated with a bad event. If that should occur, I'd suggest you give it to the Am Legion rep and let him put it in their 'museum' with some history of this GI; perhaps a pic of him.
On the other hand, you might be able to have it presented to his kin during a Memorial Day celebration at the American Legion or VFW post.
Don.......

OP
OP
Beepin Husker

Beepin Husker

Feb 20, 2014
Husker Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beepin Husker,
One word of caution: Some kin don't want the tag back; it may be too emotional to handle or it's associated with a bad event. If that should occur, I'd suggest you give it to the Am Legion rep and let him put it in their 'museum' with some history of this GI; perhaps a pic of him.
On the other hand, you might be able to have it presented to his kin during a Memorial Day celebration at the American Legion or VFW post.
Don.......

I had thought about that same scenario. Thats why I decided to take the advice about going to the Legion and let them contact the family and see what happens from there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread