need help with unknown wreck

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
wreck location off siaton negros in the sulu sea in about +-100 meters of water ...story from locals of the area ...in all my research i come up with 3 possible ships the abukuma , unknown japanese hospital ship , or ming dynasty period trading ship ...i dont own a boat and am not a driver ...history says the abukuma sunk off basay but the facts dont add up during war everyone lies and the us military the worst liars ...local stories i heard dont match the history books ...i find no records of a hospital ship at the battle of suriga straits but common sense would be a large fleet of 14 large ships going to battle should of had one ...local stories always mention seeing a hospital ship but there no photos and no 100% proof there was a hospital ship in this area ...and last a ming era trading ship is possible on route to cebu attacked by moro pirates area had history of attacks..... locals moved due to increase attacks to safer grounds ....any information would be of help ... a unknown philippine patrol boat was sunk just north east at the point in early 1942 this craft was trying to stop japanese advance with president Quezon hiding in dumaguete who soon left on pt 41 ... any information on the name of the ship would be helpful

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wiki reports the ship Abukuma sank at
17px-WMA_button2b.png
WikiMiniAtlas
09°20′N 122°32′E.
Don....

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
thats not where the locals and japanese i know say it sank ....its possible thats where it rests down 6000 feet but what i read in PT boat sightings and NAV 58 report ...if the speed is correct what the captain said and the photo i seen and the one pt boat report its possible its sunk off siaton ...that location u gave to me makes no sense if your following orders back to manila if your heading to ormac maybe ...the code was broken so everybody was lieing so its hard to figure what the facts are ... i know for a fact a ship sunk in this area there could be more then one its possible ...theres conflicting stories in this area and with almost 75 years of time its hard to figure the facts ....either the captain of this ship was crazy or he lied knowing the code was broken he disobeyed orders every time which to me raises big questions ...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Find the log book of the destroyer that proceeded to Coron Bay after rescuing surviving personnel off the Abukuma when she sank-- and you may discover the location of the sinking.
Source:
[FONT=&quot]Interrogation of: [/FONT]Commander MORI Kokichi[FONT=&quot], IJN ; Torpedo Officer on the staff of Vice Admiral SHIMA, CinC Fifth Fleet, in the night action in SURIGAO Strait in October 1944. ([/FONT]https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AAF/USSBS/IJO/IJO-58.html)
Don......

Last edited:
OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
if u read that report the us military is asking questions about where the ship sank ....think..... y would u ask questions if u already know the spot ..and during war time do u think your going to get correct answers from the enemy they lied about shooting down 3 planes (never happened in the sulu sea that day) ..they are asking questions because they are not sure where it sunk ....some photos are from planes from carriers which to me could be off siaton and other photos are from b-24s which would be off basay ...the photo i seen looks off siaton the speed the captain stated put the ship off siaton at the time of the first attack the pt boat spotting that morning put the ship off siaton ... one theory is maybe if there was a hospital ship those high flying b-24s sunk it off basay not knowing that the carrier planes sunk the 3 stacker off siaton .. its easy to look up what history says but the little details dont add up ....its very possible the captain lied about his speed and the pt boat captain lied about the ships position ....the local story of the sea turning red and japanese soldiers swimming ashore to be killed by villagers happened in siaton from what boat who knows if they are facts or not ??...i dont think those high flying fly boys would say maybe they got a hospital ship and give credit to the carrier fly boys for the 3 stacker ....i guess the facts will never add up to me

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The military never knows exactly where a vessel sinks back then, as there are many variables, coords given by various sources, and scant information. And even then, the vessel could have sunk many miles away due to current above, current beneath and inaccurate coords given by a panicked crew. Like treasure, the ship will be where you find it.

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
my exact thoughts darren ,,,the ship was heading into a strong current it wouldnt of made it to far from the first attack ,,,,,i guess the only way to know whats out there is to get a drone and look which could take a few life times that i dont have ...i was hoping a hospital ship then maybe one of the many land stories could be true ....the one land story am working could be just a lie like many of the stories... if there treasure on this island its here by accident of war

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish. If the water is 100+ meters and you are not a diver and don't own a boat? The info you have is defective. Ming ship or hospital ship? None of your reasoning seems to make sense, is there something I am missing.

My experience (4 years of research into Manila Galleons)

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
the basay site the water 6000 feet deep the history books site ...the site i know is about 100 meters deep..... a drone good to about this depth ...... the area of siaton known for moro raids so am not ruling out a ancient ship ...the stories ive heard from elder locals many many years ago said the sea was red and soldiers were killed when they swam ashore ww2 ....i dont have any proof iron clad what ship out there ...i know of 2 other ship wrecks not far from this site but both ships are steel under 200 feet long sunk in ww2 and not worth researching ....all the stories of a hospital ship in this area could be a lie but am not ruling out the possibly ..and the Abukuma which made a few stops in the area was ordered back to japan ...if there was no hospital ship in this area many treasure hunters have just wasted there time and money searching ...the land site am working now is based on one of these ships if the ship stories are a lie then am just wasting my time and money like many other treasure hunters have ... the facts i have are british hands grenade and ammo found in siaton and navy soldiers bodies found in the area .....one book of map story which maybe matches the abukuma or a large hospital ship ...the life boat had to be of a very large size to match the book of map story and the amount of gold it took ashore ...abukuma only had 4 life boats and over 500 soldiers ... the map had the correct tide for oct 26 1944 which would be the day the abukuma or a hospital ship sunk off of siaton ...so if its all a lie i guess am just a old fool ... i hope u now understand..... and the earlier ships from spain did pass this area on the way to cebu there was at least one lost and u have chinese junks anything possible ..

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of camera rovs out there rated to that depth.

What about sidescan?

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
xaos am a old guy that knows very little about whats used in underwater search i can barely afford to search on land thats y am only interested in knowing what ship out there ...if it was a treasure ship at 300 or 400 feet deep no one i know could afford a recovery and remember maybe the many stories over the years that i heard could be all lies like most of the land stories ...

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
enrada i understand were your coming from i know for a fact theres no manila galleons in this area ....this route is the early route from spain to cebu and siaton history is rich with pirate legend they even moved the early settlement to safer ground because of the raids by pirates ....u look at 19th century photos of negros and cebu u see that distance from the sea was your only defense in negros ...it gave u more time to run and hide ..another fact a chinese roman treasure was found in northern negros and all the early settlements did trade with the chinese along the coast so junks were in the area to

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread