need help with wetsuit

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
OK, I've decided to take water hunting a bit more seriously and do some west coast ocean beach hunting during the winter months. I will definitely need a wetsuit to get into the surf - knee to waist deep water - on the calmer days (no, I won't be entering the water if there are big waves and swells).

My problem is finding a wetsuit. All of the online places I find that have 2XL give a max height of 6'1" and max weight of 250lbs. I am 6'4", and around 275lbs.

Does anyone know where I can find a wetsuit that will fit comfortably?

Also, what thickness should I get?

Thanks,

Jim

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some things that you try on you just need a dive shop to get the right fit. Different manufactures still have not standardized sizes. You might really need a 3 XL for the fit around the chest and they also have longs. It should fit without being tight and without air pockets. Depending on the water temp, you can get a 3 mm. shorty or a full Farmer John style so you can wear just the pants or the jacket. If it is to warm you can open the zipper on the jacket. Zippers come on fronts and on the back, you'll do best to try these on to see which you like.

Clyp

Jul 1, 2006
South Central Orlando
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
time4me said:
OK, I've decided to take water hunting a bit more seriously and do some west coast ocean beach hunting during the winter months. I will definitely need a wetsuit to get into the surf - knee to waist deep water - on the calmer days (no, I won't be entering the water if there are big waves and swells).

My problem is finding a wetsuit. All of the online places I find that have 2XL give a max height of 6'1" and max weight of 250lbs. I am 6'4", and around 275lbs.

Does anyone know where I can find a wetsuit that will fit comfortably?

Also, what thickness should I get?

Thanks,

Jim

Take a look at the NRS website they make some stuff for the sizes we tend to move too as we get older.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clyp said:
Take a look at the NRS website they make some stuff for the sizes we tend to move too as we get older.

Short and "stocky"????? :laughing9:

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Wet suits are neopreen rubber with lots of tiny cells. The thicker they are, the better you will float. They are also very warm.Find the thinnest one practical for conditions in your area.Try the local dive shops. Those that rent suits change the stock out once a year and can have very good prices. They can also give good advice considering your needs. Jim

SFLOcenEng

Apr 19, 2008
Rio Seco
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
If I were you I would go to a surf shop the quality of surfing wetsuits is far better than dive wetsuits. Surf companies have spent a lot of money designing very warm and very flexible products. Winter California I think you probably want long legs and long arms. I would also consider booties. Good luck.

tractorman

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2009
I'm 6'.2" weigh 260 wear a 3XL PINNACLE suit that's perfect fit. At your height you would probably have to go for longer [Taller] because the back part [Bib] that goes over your shoulders and head would be too short for ya. Hope that helps, But you still have to try one on, All the manufacturers seem to size differently. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread