Bicster

Greenie
Dec 7, 2012
Conshohocken PA
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I'm fairly new to hunting and have only ever used my XLT and have about 20 or so hunts under my belt, I've read that I'm not using it right. I have only hunted with the coin and jewelry program and when I hunt I've been using a real slow swing speed. I have found a lot of stuff, mostly pull tabs, a good bit of clad, and one gold plated ring. My question is even with all my finds am I swinging to slow? Should i swing fast like I've read? I've just learned about this and have not tried swinging fast because the ground here is frozen, but come spring what would someone with this machine recommend? I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks, joe

NMCaveman

Greenie
Jan 12, 2014
Aztec NM
Detector(s) used
Whites spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had an XLT for some years now. I use mine at a moderate speed. I figure left to right and back in about 3 seconds. The other thing is the type of hunting that you want to do. If you are in a park and there's trash and can slaw, moderate speed is fine. At a homestead, take your time and listen carefully. Either way works and it is just going to take a little time to get used to that machine. Dig everything and take notes on how your detector reacts to materials. the biggest thing that I have had to learn was to raise the coil off the ground above suspect targets. Smaller targets the signal fades away but over a beer can it will not fade even if the can is over 18" deep. Set your detector to have different tones for different targets. THIS REALLY HELPS ID TARGETS. THis was a short course on detecting I will help you as much as I can. good luck and happy hunting.

OP
OP
B

Bicster

Greenie
Dec 7, 2012
Conshohocken PA
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for the info, this is a great site with great people! All this info makes my learning curve not so sharp. I'm getting cabin fever now, can't wait for the weather to break, come on spring!

wvmountaindigger

Oct 19, 2014
Mountains of West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Sun-Ray DX1 Probe, White's XLT, Sun-Ray XL1 Probe, White's Coin Master Pro, White's Coin Master 2900 Trooper, White's Coin Master 2DB Series 2, White's 120mm Bullseye Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you need a owners manual, go to the Whites Web. and go to support and then to manuals. You can print a owners manual from there. The XLT is an awesome detector. I would never part with mine.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is also an xlt forum at whites sight that could be very helpful to read over the older posts and ask questions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread