Need ID Help

Jet54

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2008
Found these four items in a creek bed with my 9y/o son. This creekbed has been known to produce artifacts.

First picture has four different views of the same item.

Second picture two views of it...the the next three pictures are the same item...I think it could possibly a scraper that was tumbled in the creek sand. The last item looks like maybe a broken end of a pipe?

Any help would be appreciated!

JR

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 326
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 322
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 312
  • Untitled-3a.jpg
    Untitled-3a.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 316
  • Untitled-3b.jpg
    Untitled-3b.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 316
  • Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 314
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what the first one is. It looks like it is broke off something but not sure what it would be. The second and last ones look natural out of creeks. The one that is brown looks as if it may have had a sharpened bit on one side. Does it look to be worked on the one edge?? Are you thinking it may be a scraper or knife?
Creeks can produce some funky looking natural rocks sometimes especially if they are spring fed or have caves under them that blow out water. I have seen some wild looking things occur naturally.
Keep your eyes peeled for worked flint flakes. You should be seeing that first then everything else will fall into place in my opinion.
Good luck in your hunts!
TnMtns

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first looks to be part of a Gastropod fossil.

The 2nd piece could possibly be a Capstone used for a bow Drill, but coming from a creek and not a known site it could also be natural.

The 3rd pieces looks to be a piece of very highly water polished Limonite, which is a stone similar to Hematite, though not as dense. These were used for Hoes and Diggers sometimes, but once again, since it came from a creek it's probably natural as well.

The last piece looks like a natural piece of Concretion that has had the softer center eroded out by the creek.

whodaman

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2010
You guys are gonna think I'm crazy, but most of the items that people post around here appear to be rocks that fish hooks were made out of. The first three look like that...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whodaman said:
You guys are gonna think I'm crazy, but most of the items that people post around here appear to be rocks that fish hooks were made out of. The first three look like that...

Yep :bunny:

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
whodaman said:

I was with you until that third piece. I have to disagree with you on it, I'm pretty sure it's a Thunderbird preform.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread