050110e.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 355

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter XL500 (PI)
cuzcosquirrel said:
Going to say Potosi mint, early 1600's. Looks kind of small, like a 4 reals or a real flat 2 reals.

I totally agree..my opinion is that it is a 4 reale (you need to weigh it), it appears to be Potosi...note the "P" left of the shield, and after comparing it to plates I looked at, I think it is somewhere between 1617 and 1620.

I am anxious to see what our "experts" say. A very nice find! :icon_thumleft:

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Potosi mint. We could first say it is an early 1652 or earlier because it is a shield obverse. By the shape of the one visible castle I'm going to guess it is 1633 or later. Please post a weight when you can get one. Nice find!

Stan

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Stan....I was using the plate at the top of pg 85 in Sedwick's "The Practical Book of Cobs" 2nd ed..(1617 Potosi, 8 reales),the plate below that shows a thicker lined shield..162(?).
Although the coins appear to have alot of likeness, the perimeter lines of the shield are thicker than Sedwick's 1617 coin, but Bill's coin is very similar to the next coin..... so I think you are right...

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
The perimeter line thickness that you speak of is not really much of a factor unless you are trying to tie a coin to a unique die set. A couple of reasons:

(1) I don't think they (the lines) were incised into the die with specific punches like the ornate design elements (like castles and lions) were. They could therefor vary a good bit depending on the punching tool geometry. By the way, several books show the deign elements made by standard punches if you are interested. Sewall Menzel's book has a diagram of them and also the lions and castles used on Potosi cobs.

(2) As the dies were "touched up" to remove chips or corrosion, or to sharpen up worn edge detail, the lines became wider through the life of the die.

(3) Slight doubling can occur during rebound of the die punch and striking hammer that may increase or decrease the perceived size of design elements.

Stan

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Thanks Stan! Your points are well-taken and I will look into your reference. I definitely want to grow my library.... your explanation was excellent and will teach all of us that read this string!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread