rock1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 343
  • rock2.jpg
    rock2.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 342
Upvote 0
T

TomWVa

kinda looks like a knife,celt or broken grooved ax. does it have a groove around it? ???

OP
OP
H

Huntin_Rocks

Jan 19, 2006
It has a ridge aroud it and it sems to fit between your fingers. Seems like you can see some animal fat ground into the blade.

schlooppy

Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City, Mo.
Can you provide more info on the site this was found. Maybe other artifacts that was found there. This may help in finding out what it is. Scrapers were a tool used in the processing of meats, hides etc. These would most normally be very sharp around the edges to assist in skining and cutting. This artifact from what I can see from the pics is not sharp & chipped into shape, but seems to be ground into its current form. This may be some kind of small axe or hand held celt, but I do not see how this can be used as a cutting tool without chipped sharp edges. More info on what else has been found on this site would help date it and found out what exactly it is. Nice Find. Congrats!!!

OP
OP
H

Huntin_Rocks

Jan 19, 2006
It was found in the white river in Arkansas.? Maybe at one time it was sharp but was used so much that the edge became rounded becuase it has what I believe to be animal fat ground into the pores of the rock.? Maybe thats why it was thrown away.? Matbe it wasn't a scraper but, I believe it was somehow used in processing hides. A friend of mine has a book on these things and he couldn't find anything like it.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I hate to be the one to tell you this but it's not an artifact, it's just a rock. Rocks often times have veins of harder or softer material running through them so they errode/weather at different rates. The raised ridge on this piece is the result of a vein of harder material. Ground stone tools had valleys pecked into them, not sharply raised ridges. Also, ground stone tools were made much nicer, a ground stone tool doesn't become that rounded through use, it becomes polished. :(

norcalrockhunter

Jul 21, 2006
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Cannonman17 said:
I hate to be the one to tell you this but it's not an artifact, it's just a rock. Rocks often times have veins of harder or softer material running through them so they errode/weather at different rates. The raised ridge on this piece is the result of a vein of harder material. Ground stone tools had valleys pecked into them, not sharply raised ridges. Also, ground stone tools were made much nicer, a ground stone tool doesn't become that rounded through use, it becomes polished. :(

I have to agree with you on this I will dig up some leavea rites and take some pictures of them, they look amount to good to be true but there are just rocks
Leavea rites Leave right there. just like a Indian love rock!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread