Need info

balddawg

Apr 30, 2013
Can anyone tell me what the best way is to confirm a finds authenticity, what type of person is best to evaluate it. Not wanting to sell, looking to collect. Have one I’d like to sell the point attached guesstimating on value? Anyone? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515300786.624449.jpg

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best way to confirm authenticity is to find it yourself, but unfortunately even that isn't 100% accurate since some people do salt sites. How long have you been collecting and are talking about collecting by finding or by buying?

As as far as value on that Point, I personally wouldn't pay more that $10 to $15 for a piece like that since it is just a common field grade type.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I agree with Grim Reaper, best way to confirm authenticity is to find it yourself.

Purchase tools to inspect the relic closely. see the post on microscopes and
loupes. Items like these can be purchased at many of the larger shows, some retail stores also carry them and on-line.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Dude! welcome to t-net. I don't know much, but I DO know, if you are new to artifacts, learn to enjoy them for the works of art they are, study the history of how they came to be. You will not get rich, money shouldn't be the main focus. And the legality, authenticity, and fraud is a maze. I just live for the joy of finding a nice one!!! I know there are people who DO make money at it, but it's NOT the primary enjoyment of people on this page. Your point is not an exceptional piece. But if you found it yourself, that's where the riches are ;) Happy hunting.

lisa

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard and to me if I was to buy it I could get that color and size all day long for $5 if I wanted to make a 30 min drive. I like finding them more than buying.

OP
OP
balddawg

balddawg

Apr 30, 2013
Old Pueblo, I live in Ohio west central side. I am just starting to hunt and collect. I just love the Idea that these Items were hand made hundreds of years ago. I love the thrill of the find.

OP
OP
balddawg

balddawg

Apr 30, 2013
nature girl, I was out metal detecting when I looked down and found the attached piece, just laying there. I was looking in disbelief. I had been researching for a couple years the area of Ohio I live in and I lost both my parents in less than a year and now with more time on my hands I find comfort and joy getting out and experiencing the absolute thrill of finding a piece. I’m not in it for $$ just the thrill and history. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515450469.107573.jpg

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Pueblo, I live in Ohio west central side. I am just starting to hunt and collect. I just love the Idea that these Items were hand made hundreds of years ago. I love the thrill of the find.

Thanks. Its good to know where you're from and where you're finding things, so we can better help you ID finds such as this. And I dont care what anyone else says, thats a nice point!

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nature girl, I was out metal detecting when I looked down and found the attached piece, just laying there. I was looking in disbelief. I had been researching for a couple years the area of Ohio I live in and I lost both my parents in less than a year and now with more time on my hands I find comfort and joy getting out and experiencing the absolute thrill of finding a piece. I’m not in it for $$ just the thrill and history. View attachment 1535037

Thats good to hear. Most of us here are in it for the fun of it and our love of history.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a nice find and a good hobby. Wont be able to retire on any of my finds either. But they sure do display nice in a frame.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking point. I agree with the others. The best way to assure its authentic is to find it yourself. I also agree with you, in that finding them is just a thrill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread