Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see posts of people buying coins from banks. So, yesterday I was in the bank and asked the teller; Hey, can I buy any large quantities of coins? She said she had a bag of dimes ( $500.00) - so I bought it. What is this practice of buying coins called? Are you just looking for pre-1965 coins and miss prints? I spent a lot of time going through the bag and this was the outcome:

1) - Very dirty hands.

2) - A massive headache from looking at tiny dates.

3) - A huge pile of dimes that I now have to go get changed back into cash.

4) - 2 hours of my life gone.

Am I doing something wrong here? Please help me out.

Thanks!

Adan Bailey

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great information. Thanks for sharing useful information and helping guidelines for newbies. You tips has great vale for me and I will take some actions on these points.

Floor Scale

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Until someone pipes in - you might consider browsing: Forum > Hunting > Coin Roll Hunting

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As vpnavy pointed, out, coin roll hunting is the current day term. This has been going on in some extent since 1965, but the last five years has seen a massive influx in CRH. Most people are looking for silver coins, copper pre 1982 pennies, or old coins with numismatic value. A lot of boxes are skunks with nothing other than clad. Occasionally, you might get lucky and find some CWR (customer wrapped rolls).

Good luck on your search, if it was easy, everyone would do it ( and quite a few do!).

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
TheRingFinder

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!!! I will keep trying!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
with the extreme shortage of silver coins in circulation (or rolls at banks, etc...) I think CRH would be a big waste of time. But .... to each his own.

Back in 1980, when silver was at-that-time at historic highs, I knew a lady who worked at a bank. One night, she confided in me that since the circus was coming to town, the bank had a shipment of many thousands of dollars of dimes and quarters. She had gotten the bank manager's permission, to stay on her own time, after bank-closing, and go through all this coin shipment for silver. So her and a friend spent most of the night looking through the coins for silver. They would have them all in trays on -their-side, and just fly down the stacks looking for ones that weren't peanut butter sandwich clad.

By mid-night, they had a single 1964 silver roosie. Woohoo. They gave up their aspirations of CRH and never did it again, despite having carte-blanche to bank shipments. And that was in 1980! This is now 33 years later, so I can't imagine the why this would be worth anyone's time. But to each his own. Why not just buy a detector and go hit old parks and yards that pre-date 1960?

culbert5704

Greenie
Sep 19, 2013
North Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work in a bank and also collect coins. I can tell you that finding silver coins in wrapped groups is becoming very hard. Not only because of the cost of silver, but the whole state quarter thing started in 99 has increased the amount of coin collectors. Keep looking and it never hurts to find a teller at your bank and get to know them. It may or may not pan out, but it can't hurt. I still buy all the Ike dollars that come in and give them to kids. They get a kick out of the size of the coin and most haven't seen them before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread