Need Jewelry Help! First 18kt Item!

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys need help on these, I'm not great with jewelry. First item is a 14kt Tanzanite with very small diamonds. I think its quite pretty myself, not the highest grade Tanzanite and diamonds but still. Weighs 2.5 grams or so. Second item was a custom built 18kt gold pendant on a 18kt chain, 5.7g. It has a nice size sapphire and three alright sized diamonds, the quarter is there for size reference. The diamond color is amazing and the sapphire is a deep blue. Took both to a jeweler and they wanted to scrap both and give me gold weight!! That can't be right... I need help from you guys! How would you value these pieces?Both look great and not at all scrap imo. Jewelry is my worst area, all I know is gold weight lol. Took a gamble on these pieces! Also scored two International prelude sterling soup spoons for $5 weighs 78g!
20160213_222322_resized.jpg 20160213_222347_resized.jpg 20160213_222417_resized.jpg 20160213_222538_resized.jpg 20160213_222018_resized.jpg 20160213_222140_resized.jpg 20160213_222220_resized.jpg 20160213_222254_resized.jpg

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience is that unless the stones are significantly big or valuable, then they're just not worth much. Also, does the jeweler sell estate jewelry? If not, he'll just want to scrap it and move on. Even if he did, he'd have to buy it at wholesale price to sell it at a profit in his shop. See if you can find a good estate jewelry shop (sometimes they sell coins too) to make an offer. Point out the stones and see what kind of reaction you get.

Better to sell it at retail yourself. Did the jeweler verify the stones? If so, then I'd fell comfortable selling them on ebay. He gave you the scrap value for each piece? After looking on ebay at sold items, if you don't find any analagous pieces, price them at double or triple the scrap number you got with OBO. You'll know right away if you are in the ball park with prices based upon how quickly you start getting offers. That ring in particular is very nice and should be an easy sale.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My coin shop guy tells me that unless they are over a carat, stones aren't worth a whole lot. When he sends stuff off to melt, the stones come back cleaned and he tosses them in a film container and when it's full, off to eBay it goes.
Your pieces do look nice and I'm sure they're worth more than scrap but I have no idea on what to ask for them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread