Need Natural Bug Off Recommendation

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went into the woods for a hunt today. It was hot and I was covered from head to toe. The only skin exposed was my face, the back of my neck, lower back of my head, and lower back when bending over. I had a thin long sleeve shirt on and the bus did not care. They bit through my shirt, especially the shoulder area. The most annoying thing was them buzzing at me every 5 seconds. Definitely can't do this again without some type of bug off. I don't want to rub chemicals like DEET all over and was wondering if anyone had an all natural bug off product to suggest, hopefully something that smells bad to the bugs but doesn't make me smell vile to others. :) I appreciate it in advance. Thanks!

Upvote 0

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Avon Skin So Soft! I have been using it for years and now it comes in a aerosal can. Makes you smell good and softens your skin.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While they look a little strange, those hats with the net attached do keep the bugs away from your face.

RandyNorthridgeCa

Mar 27, 2005
Northridge, Calif.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F-75, SE, explorer 2 on beaches), CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've tried just about all the repellants without deet and had no luck with them. I've even tried some lotion by Avon ( think it was skin so soft that others suggested with no luck. I ended up using Ultrathon that I buy at R.E.I it has deet but only 34% and it works great. Hope you find something that works for you. HH

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found ( through scientific research) that female urine especially during menstruation, is the best. Apply. let dry , them apply again.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
although it does attract bears.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not going to effectively keep the bugs away without chemicals.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
everything has chemicals

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super Strong Insect Repellent Recipe Fair warning: this stuff stinks when it is wet, though the smell disappears as it dries. It works incredibly well though, and this is the one I use when I’m going to be in the woods or in tick infested areas. It is based on a recipe that was supposedly used by thieves during the Black Plague to keep from getting sick. They used it internally and externally to avoid catching the disease and to keep the flies and other pests away. According to legend, it worked and they survived... but it definitely makes a great insect repellent these days! Its also very inexpensive to make and you probably already have the ingredients in your kitchen! Vinegar of the Four Thieves Insect Repellent Ingredients: 1 32 ounce bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar 2 TBSP each of dried Sage, Rosemary, Lavender, Thyme and Mint At least quart size glass jar with airtight lid How to Make the Vinegar of the Four Thieves Insect Repellent: Put the vinegar and dried herbs into large glass jar. Seal tightly and store on counter or place you will see it daily. Shake well each day for 2-3 weeks. After 2-3 weeks, strain the herbs out and store in spray bottles or tincture bottles, preferably in fridge. To use on skin, dilute to half with water in a spray bottle and use as needed. Use whenever you need serious bug control! [Note: This mixture is very strong and has antiviral and antibacterial properties. It can also be used as a tincture for any illness. For adults, dose is 1 TBSP in water several times a day,for kids over 2, dose is 1 tsp in water several times a day.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mine is easier to accumulate and apply

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Avon SkinSoSoft works better than anything Ive ever used.

OP
OP
cusedpjd

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Will give the Avon product a try!

decoy218

Feb 20, 2013
Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, XP Deus, Minelab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thermacell. They run off butane and have a scent wafer that heats up and repells mosquitoes. They give you about a 15' x 15' protection area. I use mine turkey hunting in the spring and love it. I also purchased a holster to clip it onto me so that I can move around and not have to worry about carrying it or leaving it somewhere. The scent wafer does not stink bad and now they offer different smelling wafers. Only draw back is that it may not be as effective on windy days as the repellant may get blown away from you too quick. The front of them does heat up from the butane heater so be careful. You can pick them up in Walmart, Basspro, on line....... Here's the link to their web site:

Effective Mosquito Repellent for Outdoor Areas | ThermaCELL

sandy shoes

Jun 6, 2013
gloucester mass
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bug suits

I went into the woods for a hunt today. It was hot and I was covered from head to toe. The only skin exposed was my face, the back of my neck, lower back of my head, and lower back when bending over. I had a thin long sleeve shirt on and the bus did not care. They bit through my shirt, especially the shoulder area. The most annoying thing was them buzzing at me every 5 seconds. Definitely can't do this again without some type of bug off. I don't want to rub chemicals like DEET all over and was wondering if anyone had an all natural bug off product to suggest, hopefully something that smells bad to the bugs but doesn't make me smell vile to others. :) I appreciate it in advance. Thanks!
on ebay they have a fine mesh bug suit for around 35.00

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was using the off deep woods for a while it works well and then i wen tout on a hunt and for got it, there was no way i was goin out in the woods with out something i found this its
all terrain herbal armor all natural insect repellant 100% deet free and let me tell u i could walk threw a swarm of anything and not get bit seriously no bs i picked it up at my local stop and shop heres whats in it
oil of soy bean 11.5%
oil of cedar 1.50%
oil of citronella 10.0%
oil of peppermint 2.0%
oil of lemongrass 1.00%
oil of geranium 0.05%
then inert ingrediants 73.95%
stuff works really well

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vanilla extract work great for biting flies and knats while they laugh at deet. Guys in WillistonND use the vanilla air freshen for cars by hanging them on there hats.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
another thing that works well is a good 3/8 inch coat of axle grease

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread