lamarkeiko

Dec 30, 2018
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ML 80 headphones that came with my Equinox 800 can no longer be powered up. I think there is some internal switch damage. I have been using a replacement blue tooth low latency headphone that I normally use for watching tv that seems to work fine when paired with my detector. I would like to get another headphone specifically for my detector. A new ML 80 headphone will cost me around $130, and I can get a new blue tooth low latency headphone on Amazon for as low as $20 that has excellent reviews. Would I be missing something using the much cheaper headphones vs Minelab ML 80?

Lamar

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your headphones are out of warranty? IIRC, they have a 3 year warranty just like the detector.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
While you're checking out the warranty info you can get some cheapo headphones in the meantime. They'll be good backup for both your detector and TV.

GandT.dad

Jun 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please Share the link of what you end up getting and thoughts of how they preform.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carefull with what charger you use to charge them. My son fried mine with a bad one. Minelab rocks and sent a new pair. Definitely send yours in.

OP
OP
L

lamarkeiko

Dec 30, 2018
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your headphones are out of warranty? IIRC, they have a 3 year warranty just like the detector.

I purchased my 800 exactly 2 years ago and it never occurred to me that the headphones would still be under warranty. I will check on that. Did the detector come with a warranty registration card in the package? I can't find anything in my original papers that showed I mailed in a card.

Lamar

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You register the SN online. All you need to do is contact ML service center and provide proof of your purchase date.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You register the SN online. All you need to do is contact ML service center and provide proof of your purchase date.

And where you purchased it, and the serial number......After 3 years, my sticker is unreadable, so, if you can still read yours, write it down somewhere for future reference.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And where you purchased it, and the serial number......After 3 years, my sticker is unreadable, so, if you can still read yours, write it down somewhere for future reference.

Or take a pic of it with your phone and save to photos

OP
OP
L

lamarkeiko

Dec 30, 2018
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the original box, and the S/N is on the box.
I called the service center yesterday and only got a message to leave your name, S/N and phone number. From what I have seen from other posts on warranty repair, it may take a while to hear back from Minelab Service.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Replace the ML80s with Tronds. I own both the Tronds and the Quest, once that I saw a need for new ear cups due to wear over time, and the Quests price for me was IDEAL at the time. I have religiously used the Quests since getting them. I always felt the Tronds are sweeter in tonal response.

I just tested both the Trond and Quests in my coin garden. The Trond headphones just sound sharper. jm2c

Trond 4.2 LL as Amazon advertises them, yet they will currently deliver Bluetooth 5.0 phones, and those work the same. A friend of mine getting into detecting bought those and he never had a single glitch.

The ML80 and Quests just have a "soggy tone." I own them though. They are very friendly and easy. The Tronds are sharper though and cheaper ;-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lamarkeiko

Dec 30, 2018
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been over a month, but I finally got an email back from Minelab Customer Care service requesting my address and the problem with the ML80 headphones. I'll post again when I hear more.

Lamar

OP
OP
L

lamarkeiko

Dec 30, 2018
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got an email from Minelab service 2 days ago telling me to send the headphones back to them and putting a number they created on the outside of the shipping box. Sent it back yesterday via USPS.
They said it would take about 20 business days.

Lamar

OP
OP
L

lamarkeiko

Dec 30, 2018
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab service received the headphones Thursday morning, checked them out and confirmed a switch problem and have already sent out a replacement scheduled to receive on Tuesday. That's a lot faster service than original email mentioned. Good job Minelab.

Lamar

OP
OP
L

lamarkeiko

Dec 30, 2018
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received the new replacement ML80 headphones today. Only took 6 days to receive the new ones after I mailed the bad ones in last Tuesday. That's from Oregon to Pennsylvania and back to Oregon. Excellent service Minelab.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Trond BH01 wireless headphones have better fidelity than the ones Minelab ships with the 800. At least to my ears.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use apple air pods when it is REALLY hot on the Equinox 800.

Was not aware the air pods were low latency. I’ve personally found APTX low latency compatibility makes or breaks the usability of wireless buds/phones for me for target pinpointing and high latency is a nightmare in high target/trash density scenarios. Do you find any situations where the latency of the AirPods affects your detecting, Bart?

I summarize a number of Equinox compatible wireless headphones and earbuds in this post:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/equinox/658230-wireless-not.html#post6786181

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread