Need Opinion

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey everyone. I think I already know the answer to this question but I'll ask it anyway. My grandmother-in-law bought me an 1889 O Morgan Dollar that she bought from Littleton Coin. I don't know much about this company but they seem expensive and the type to prey on little old ladies. The company sends her ads with "amazing" offers on coins. I'm pretty sure she spent too much on the coin. Regardless it came in a plastic wrapper, almost condom like, with the grade "Very Fine". I know this isn't an official slab grade but is there any reason for me to keep the coin in the wrapper?

Attachments

• image-1572511133.jpg
    image-1572511133.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin is just basically a "junk" silver Morgan. You aren't going to decrease the value by taking it out of that wrapper. With that said, it will possibly look more appealing to another non coin-knowledgable buyer down the road in the wrapper. I would be willing to bet that if you listed 2 identical Morgans on ebay, one loose and the other in an identical Littleton wrappper, that the one in the Littleton wrapper would sell for a higher amount.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My recommendation would be to take it out of the wrapper because the littleton wrappers have been known to cause PVC damage if left in too long.....

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the input. Wanted to remove the coin and put it jn a flip but needed a little push from some people here. Thanks!

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
My recommendation would be to take it out of the wrapper because the littleton wrappers have been known to cause PVC damage if left in too long.....

You were right about the Littleton coin wrappers. I checked my 1972S Ike Silver Proof that I also received from my grandmother-in-law. It had a few green spots. I removed it immediately from the wrapper. Thinking about giving it an acetone dip to remove the spots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread