Need opinions on future purchases...

E

Einstein

Im going to buy a pinpointer whats the difference between a bullseye 120mm and a bullseye II or a 140mm?
Secondly, Should I buy an ace250 or spend much more and get a better detector?
Lastly, for fellas that pack a piece: Where do you carry it exactly? I find it gets in the way most anywhere I put it (pulling my pants down)and Im trying to find a comfortable out of the way place. Thanks for your responses.

Upvote 0

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
A 120mm is 120mm's long and a 140mm is 140mm's long. I have the 140 and find that it is a nice size. Just slip it into your back pocket and away you go. If you wear painter's pants with the pocket for the rule on the leg, it also fits into that one nicely and is out of the way.

For your detector, I would say that the ACE 250 would be a great first machine, although I don't personally own one. I have found that after owning quite a few machines that I really like the Garretts, the Whites, and the Fishers... in that order. I have never owned a Minelab, so I can still bad-mouth them! LOL

As for carrying which I do everyday, but especially while out hunting by myself. I have two preferred methods for my full-size automatics. The first is a thumb-break "FBI cant" worn a bit behind my right hip and just to the front of my back pocket. The second is a "Small of the Back" or "SOB" spring retention holster worn over my right back pocket. Both methods conceal very well with an untucked button-up shirt and the SOB is very out of the way. The "FBI cant" holds the pistol upright and canted toward the front for a natural draw since the pistol is a bit behind you. The SOB holster is very natural as well, although you won't think so when you look at it. It holds the pistol parallel to the belt with the grip pointing up, which is a natural position if you consider where you will be wearing it.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
BTW, if it is just getting in the way by pulling your pants down, you might consider a shoulder rig.? I carried a full size Glock in one for well over a year and it was very nice.? I also carried a SIG 228 in a shoulder rig for a while.? Both conceal easily and can be worn all day.

jackaldridge

Greenie
Jan 31, 2006
Northeastern Oklahoma
You might want to read the post about the Ace 250 picking up radio stations...it's a little further down the forum....my 2 cents worth says you get what you pay for...
I carry a .380 AMT backup in the zipper pouch of my hunting bag.
Good Hunting!!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lastly, for fellas that pack a piece: Where do you carry it exactly? I find it gets in the way most anywhere I put it (pulling my pants down)and Im trying to find a comfortable out of the way place.

Colt Officer's .45 ACP in a shoulder rig under a vest or jacket. In the summer in a pancake waistband holster placed center back or left side butt forward.

One word for you: "suspenders" ;D

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
jackaldridge said:
You might want to read the post about the Ace 250 picking up radio stations...it's a little further down the forum....my 2 cents worth says you get what you pay for...
I carry a .380 AMT backup in the zipper pouch of my hunting bag.
Good Hunting!!

You say "you get what you pay for" and you're carrying an AMT .380?? Sometimes "you get what you pay for" is offset by "you pay for what you can afford" because I am sure that you would rather have had an ivory handled, 24K Walter PPK in .380... right?? Either way, it's still a .380.? Same for the detector.? When a two hundred dollar item can do the same job as a five hundred dollar item go with the money saver.? Just don't try to listen to the radio on you AMT!!! LOL (Just poking at ya Jack!)

;D ;D ;D

There are probably 2500 other posts about what a great machine the ACE250, so after you read the one about the radio stations read some of the others Einstein. Whatever you get, get the best you can afford and welcome to the sport!

I will throw out a disclaimer... If you are totally new to the sport, I would say buy a good used machine until you find out if this hobby is for you or not. Don't get pinned with a thousand dollar machine that you have to sell for half that because you find out a year from now that this isn't for you.

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The poster who suggested the FBI cant just past the hip (I don't like the thumb break) or the SOB is right on the money. If you have a small single stack 45 such as a Kimber ultra carry (my choice) or something similar with a 3.5 - 4" barrel, you can wear it all day without a problem. I don't like the Glock's out in the woods, they can be dangerous (personal opinion) Just don't drive with your piece holstered in a SOB...very uncomfortable.

From what I hear and read of the ACE 250 it's a great machine for the money and would be an ideal first purchase.

I use the bullseye II (a second generation bullseye) and like it a lot. It's small, light and tougher than it looks. The vibration alert is handy when you don't want to remove your headphones and the penlight is very bright and usefull as well.

jg

jackaldridge

Greenie
Jan 31, 2006
Northeastern Oklahoma
Hey no problem, Dig....
Actually the .380 is one of about 35 different pistols in the old armory safe (long history with the FBI and so on...)...I carry it because it's light.
And I was thinkin' more along the lines of a 1000 dollar detector...? ?

Ha...just pokin' fun back :-)

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
The ace 250 is very limited in the areas you can use it, whilst it might do well on shallow targets in a park or play ground, if you took it down to the beach and tried the wet sand you would be sadly dissappointed.You would have the same problems in highly mineralised ground where you would have to turn the sensitivity down so much to stop noise it wouldnt be worth using. My advice is save some more money buy a better quality detector. If you buy a cheapy to start with you will soon get rid of it and the money you wasted on it would go a long way towards a better machine.First of all make sure the detector you buy suits the area you want to detect in.If you want to do beaches make sure your chioce of machine can handle salty wet black sand.If you look for gold make sure your machine suits highly mineralised soil most gold is in areas of high iron stone concentrations.Do your homework it will pay dividends. good luck Neilo ;D

Z

ZumbroKid

Have not seen Einstein is a while. For detector see who is finding what in you area and think about getting that. Then you know the machine is right for your area.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry my .45 ACP Chief's Special Mexican Style in the small of my back tucked down in my pants. Wear suspenders and don't let your wife hook them to your briefs! Causes a major wedgie! Monty

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
??? ??? ???

My post from last night isn't here.?

I guess I'll have to retype it.

The SOB holster can be comfortable to drive with, if you don't wear it in the SOB.? I pull it to the side, just over my back pocket.? That puts the grip in the area where your back curves away from the seat.? You can even draw while seated and with a seatbelt on.? The FBI cant that I wear is the thumb-break style.? For me, it is really natural and the thumb-break doesn't slow my draw at all because I wear a thumb-break holster every day.? This is just one that leans more to the front and I wear it more to the back.

Jack, if you like the AMT because it's small and light, check out the Kahr MP40.? You get the same round capacity as the AMT but in a 15 ounce .40 S&W.? It's also the same DAO setup as the AMT.?

I went back and read my post from the other day, I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing your AMT, I was just making a point.? I actually like the AMT from a back-up stand point.? The point I was making was that it's a bit small for personal defence in my book.? I don't carry anything smaller than my SIG 228 in 9mm, loaded with custom loaded rounds.? 124 grain GoldDots loaded to 1400 feet per second; terminal ballistics that match a .357 Magnum.

If you are in a fight for your life and your primary weapon is out, any back-up weapon is better than the alternative.? What I choose for a self defence weapon is going to be the biggest round I can get in a package that is suitable for the activities of the day.? For example, if I am going to be out in the middle of nowhere, I might carry my Colt, Delta Elite, 10mm or my Beretta Brigadier .40 S&W.? If I am going to the county fair, I might toss my Titanium .38 Special in my pocket.? For general carry, I go with a happy medium;? my 15 + 1, SIG 228 in the FBI or SOB.

I guess in my first post I should have said "When a two hundred dollar machine can do the same as a five hundred dollar machine, go with the money saver and get the best coil for that machine"

;D ;D ;D

jackaldridge

Greenie
Jan 31, 2006
Northeastern Oklahoma
Dig...
I agree...
I carry a Walther .40 S&W as my main concealed carry weapon....it replaced my old Model 19-2 S&W.
The AMT is an old stand-by that fits in my back pocket as needed.
We were taught most gun battles are within 3-5 FEET!!!! Yep...feet...so just about anything that pops fairly well is better than nothing...
I've seen 9mm rounds bounce off windshields...or not even penetrate a side car door...so I settled on the 40...I think it has pretty good ballistics for the weapon's size...
My other carry weapon is a Colt Commander...smaller, in .45...but of course single action only...
{And no...I don't carry them both at once... :-) }
Nothing you said offended...I comprende'...

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Its sad that you have to carry such things around not being able to trust your neighbours must be stessing. I am glad to where I live and we dont have those worries. I think it is out of place in this forum. Seeya Neilo ;D

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are alternatives to a pistol, also. The Lesche digging tool is fairly rugged. I also have a shovel that has a 1/4" thick sharpened steel blade (4 x 10", 37" overall). I could defend myself against anything short of a firearm with this. It's my relic hunting boar spear.

Attachments

• Alfanso Shovel.jpg
    Alfanso Shovel.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 139

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Monty thanks, I thought I might be sticking my neck out, but its good to know you agree your new friend Neilo ;D

jackaldridge

Greenie
Jan 31, 2006
Northeastern Oklahoma
Neilo,
Sorry you were offended....
No one is trying to change the forum...I'm really surprised someone would take offense over such a minor thing....
I actually enjoyed the discussion....having someone ask 'what detector to buy' gets a little old after a while...
Reading posts is optional...if I see something that doesn't interest me I just move on...sort of like tuning a radio to the station I want to hear...
It's an option we all enjoy..., just like the right to bear arms....
Ain't this country great????
Have a great day....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread