Need opinions, would you try and clean this coin or not?

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug 2 of these, both are 1875 and black spotted pretty bad. This one has crisp details but looks like crap. Should I try and clean it, and if so, how? 005.JPG 006.JPG

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like them like that. I doubt you could improve or hurt value the shape they are in. Always nice to find a seated though.

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put a piece of aluminum foil in a glass dish (big enough to hold a cup of water) shiny side up, lay coin on foil, in a separate container bring to boil a cup of water, put in one tablespoon of salt and stir, put in one tablespoon of baking soda and stir. Be careful the water will fizz up when you add the baking soda. When salt and baking soda are dissolved in your boiled water, pour the hot mix into the glass dish with the foil and coin. Let the coin sit in the mix for 5 to 10 minutes, then remove coin and rinse it with warm water, dry it with a soft cloth. The soda/salt mix causes a electrolysis type reaction that in turn causes the tarnish (black stuff) to leave the coin and go to foil. Repeat the process as necessary. Pretty safe process of cleaning, leaves NO scratches, providing you don't rub too hard with the soft cloth when drying the coin. NOTE - The coin must be on the foil (touching/making contact), preferably laying flat on the foil!

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Put a piece of aluminum foil in a glass dish (big enough to hold a cup of water) shiny side up, lay coin on foil, in a separate container bring to boil a cup of water, put in one tablespoon of salt and stir, put in one tablespoon of baking soda and stir. Be careful the water will fizz up when you add the baking soda. When salt and baking soda are dissolved in your boiled water, pour the hot mix into the glass dish with the foil and coin. Let the coin sit in the mix for 5 to 10 minutes, then remove coin and rinse it with warm water, dry it with a soft cloth. The soda/salt mix causes a electrolysis type reaction that in turn causes the tarnish (black stuff) to leave the coin and go to foil. Repeat the process as necessary. Pretty safe process of cleaning, leaves NO scratches, providing you don't rub too hard with the soft cloth when drying the coin. NOTE - The coin must be on the foil (touching/making contact), preferably laying flat on the foil!

I think that method may work...

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want sooooo bad to tell you about microwaving hydrogen peroxide. But I won't cause I'm know for inventive cleaning methods that absolutely destroy coins.
Oh, then there's my "tumbling" debacle! ;)
I defer to all other recommendations.
GL
Peace ✌

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would clean it , If truly rare or valuable I would not - but this is neither - Nice Find .

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Never tried that method before Mike. Got a couple of slick Rosies that are spotted a little. Thinking about trying it out on those guys first.

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want sooooo bad to tell you about microwaving hydrogen peroxide. But I won't cause I'm know for inventive cleaning methods that absolutely destroy coins.
GL
Peace ✌

I hear you brother!

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for the record, these are not recent finds, although I wish they were! Thanks for your'e input guys. Here's a pic of the other one seated 001.JPG seated 002.JPG

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
GL
Peace ✌

Hydrogen perioxide only works on copper, brass or bronze based on what I see. Tumbling would probably ruin it though.

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hydrogen perioxide only works on copper, brass or bronze based on what I see. Tumbling would probably ruin it though.

I hear you man! All I know for sure is Liquid Plummer IS DEF. not good for cleaning coins! I'll be a man and admit it, I dunked 2 colonial coppers in it and they instantly turned green. I can take pics of them to prove it, but I'm afraid you guys might throw up looking at them :laughing7:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Your 1875 dime is very common and not worth very much. That having been said, do whatever YOU want with it.

IF you decide to clean it, I would use a light baking soda cleaning. It will leave the coin looking "blast white". However, it will also leave the coin with a lot of micro scratches that may detract from the overall eye appeal of the coin. Of course, the large ugly black spots also detract from the eye appeal so it is really a wash.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, be careful with some of this advice you are being given. The boiling peroxide, liquid plumber, and tumbling methods are NOT proper methods for your specific coin.

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never tried that method before Mike. Got a couple of slick Rosies that are spotted a little. Thinking about trying it out on those guys first.

I've used this method several times in the past, and had really good results. You mentioned trying it on a Rosie or two, go for it, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the results. My sister in-in law turned me on to the method. Remember, if the tarnish is thick and/or very well adhered, you may have to repeat the process a time or two to get the desired result. Oh, I forgot to mention, I believe this method only works for silver. I first used the method to clean some silver jewelry. It worked so well, I then tried it on some coins, albeit no rare/valuable ones. Probably one of the safest methods of cleaning I have used, or heard of for that matter. Enjoy!

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used this method several times in the past, and had really good results. You mentioned trying it on a Rosie or two, go for it, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the results. My sister in-in law turned me on to the method. Remember, if the tarnish is thick and/or very well adhered, you may have to repeat the process a time or two to get the desired result. Oh, I forgot to mention, I believe this method only works for silver. I first used the method to clean some silver jewelry. It worked so well, I then tried it on some coins, albeit no rare/valuable ones. Probably one of the safest methods of cleaning I have used, or heard of for that matter. Enjoy!

Thank's Mike, I'll give it a go!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, be careful with some of this advice you are being given. The boiling peroxide, liquid plumber, and tumbling methods are NOT proper methods for your specific coin.

And the proper methods are...?

Not to disrespect you, JB, but I always find these threads a little funny to read because everyone has an opinion on what is best, but nobody ever makes a declarative statement outlining the methods used by the professionals, i.e. PCGS and the like.

I challenge people who reply to these threads: Does anyone know the correct professional museum-quality restoration way to clean a coin without it losing any of its value? I've never found anything on the internet by anyone stating, "This is how PCGS does it" or, "This is how the Smithsonian would clean it."

The gauntlet was thrown a while ago. I dared someone to pick it up then. No one did. :dontknow:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear you man! All I know for sure is Liquid Plummer IS DEF. not good for cleaning coins! I'll be a man and admit it, I dunked 2 colonial coppers in it and they instantly turned green. I can take pics of them to prove it, but I'm afraid you guys might throw up looking at them :laughing7:

Kind of curious to see how they looked. There are sometimes I regret cleaning finds...

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of curious to see how they looked. There are sometimes I regret cleaning finds...

Here you go man. It's not pretty. The one that's been clipped is fairly thick and def. appears to be a KG. The other is bent, much thinner and really no detail left on it.I'm pretty sure I'ts a KG as well. Anyways, I threw the thin one in my brass tumbler to try and get rid of the green liquid plumber patina. Not a good idea either! I only dunked them less than halfway, saw what was going on, and pulled them out. By the way, congrats on a killer banner find :occasion14: liquid plumber 001.JPG liquid plumber 003.JPG liquid plumber 004.JPG liquid plumber 005.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions